Thread: Bsa airsporter mk2 versus webley mk3 (the later one)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bsa airsporter mk2 versus webley mk3 (the later one)

Hi guys, just wondering members thoughts on the above mentioned, as build quality
    power and value as in really good condition as i have got a chance on both but can only afford one right now?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by DRUMMERBOY View Post
    Hi guys, just wondering members thoughts on the above mentioned, as build quality
    power and value as in really good condition as i have got a chance on both but can only afford one right now?
    Neil
    No contest power wise.

MK2 Airsporter every time with a swept volume of about 49cc it can do 12 no problem.

And if you want to improve shot to shot consistancy to can send your piston to Chambers to have an O ring piston head fitted.

All the best Mick

Airsporter v Webley Mark 3

It depends on whether you are collecting or intending to shoot/hunt seriously. Most of the earlier Mk 2 Airsporters were not grooved for a scope but Hillier says some of the later models were grooved. The Webley is not really an option for a scope. The spot welded scope base on the later models is not up to the weight of a modern scope. Windage adjusted by tapping the dovetail block

The Webley is a pre war design, copied I think from an earlier Diana...very well made with some hand tooling. I have found the Webley much easier to work on and I have replaced the leather washers with ptfe washers. The Airsporter is a more modern design but more difficult, I find, to work on. I much prefer the Mercury. Power about the same I would think. My Webleys do about 9ft/lb.

The Webley and the Airsporter are really chalk and cheese.

Mike95

No contest quality-wise, buy the Webley. I have 2 Mk2 Airsporters, one is harsh, 9.4 ftlb and groups 45mm at 20yds, the other is smooth, 11.2 ftlb and does one hole groups but I wish I'd never sold my Webley Mk3.

thanks guys, keep them coming so i can make my mind up?
    neil

edbear2 Guest
    I prefer the BSA, but am biased.......The mk2's had two types of scope provision, either 4 cut outs at an unusual width that is a bit of an issue mount wise, or normal milled grooves later in production.......both are vastly superior to the Webley's spot welded tin affair, which is only suitable for the old lightweight 3/4" diameter scopes with very limited light transmission.....and even then these rails can unpeel

That said, The Webley will normally have a much nicer stock, wood quality wise, in fact these are (for me) amongst the nicest shaped jobs ever.

The trigger unit on the Webley is better engineered, and more substantial, as are the sights (especially the rear).....

Balance and shooting.......the BSA will edge the Webley powerwise, and accuracy will be pretty similar given equal condition of the bore, both are superb to handle, with the Webley being slightly easier in cocking action (for me anyway).

The blue on a good Webley will be much better than the BSA........Hang on, this is sounding like I prefer the Webley now

It really depends on what you want the gun for......If you want a .22, then I would personally go for a Mark 1 Airsporter!,( but it has no provision for a scope), If you want to mount a modern(ish) scope, and shoot / hunt a fair bit without the thing falling off, then It must be the Mk2 BSA......

Open sights, and no calibre preference (although .177's of each are more scarce normally).....then try and see what suits you....

All said, the BSA for me, not for any reason other than my personal preference....

Nice one Ed,

Can't say I noticed your Webley lapel badge when we were having a beer the other week!!!!

Cheers

Inproved...Steve....

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by DRUMMERBOY View Post
    Neil
    Only a personal opinion, but I have owned both and now only own one type. The airsporters are maybe a touch more powerful in standard order. They also have a slightly more modern look. As others have said they can tend towards harshness and are not as nicely made in some ways. Mk3's have a lovely finish and are a simple and efficient design, with maybe one small exception in the smaller underlever. The BSA scope mounting is stronger, but both are very good with open sights. Both will give hours of pleasure in a target setting, but I like a bit more power and a decent telescopic sight for hunting. For a pleasing toy with superb finish and a real classic design, and it has to be said, easier to work on, then its the Mk3 for me. I am a recent convert having been told BSA were much better for many years! Both were top of their ranges in their day, but there are some rough ones about now. Choose a good one and enjoy!
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Hi, any more comments or valuations please?
    Neil

Hi just wondering if some members could give me a few realistic valueations on this rifle please?
    Regards Neil

This is a very old post. I havent been in for ages being over on the BSA forum but for future posters interested in this subject here is my take.
    Ive owned 3 Airsporters in various guise and 1 Webley Mark 3 across a period of 25 yrs.
    There is no question in my mind that the Mk3 is the better gun.
    Many will enthuse about the Airsporters more modern look of placing the underlever inside the stock and it suggests a more modern improved design but in practise it does not improve the gun.
    The huge cut out to let in the lever leaves the BSA stock much weaker and less able at recoil damping.
    The mk3 stock is ultra solid and stronger but is slimmer and much more pointable. The Airsporter feels more unweildly in comparsion. The function and fit of the Mk3 lever exudes quality, is ultra smooth and quiet.
    The Airsporter has an automatic opening tap on my Mk1 and 2 but dropped on the mk3 onwards but the tap has no comparison with the Webley mk3. The Mk3s was tapered and better fitting, also never seems to wear. Triggers, again MK3 has the better feel and weight but is much better than the later Airsporter models as they went to plastic blades.
    The curved trigger block of the Airsporter looks more streamlined but it was cast alloy which easily lost its finish. So much so that you will be hard pushed to find one without some paint missing. The Webley was blued solid steel throughout.
    On the range, the Webley groups tighter by almost 3/8 inch at 20yds with English pellets.
    In power terms the Airsporter wins. The bigger cylinder develops a potential all the way up to the higher end of 11ftlbs with the webley just inside the mid end of 10ftlbs but the vibration and twang of the Airspoter much less pleasent