Thread: BSA Mercury stripdown, parts and service

BSA Mercury stripdown, parts and service

Hi there.

I've dug out my old BSA Mercury .22" (Mk3 I believe, SN# ZC07313) to dispatch some rats and rabbits we have in our paddock near to our new house. I stripped it down to replace the seals but there's quite a few problems I need to deal with and would appreciate any advice you may have to give.

The rifle is fitted with with a *shudder* ox spring and it's been in for quite a few years now (at least the 18 years since I got it) and it's done quite a lot of damage to the piston where the push-rod on the cocking mechanism has slipped. The outer edge of the piston has a large and deep gouge along its bottom section; ideally I'd like to replace it in its entirety but both John Knibbs and TW Chambers don't have any stock and won't be getting any more in. This just leaves me with the option of gently welding in the gouge and re-finishing it.

How do you remove the alloy hat on the front of the piston? I see there's something akin to a gudgeon pin holding it in but I don't know if it's tapped, an interference fit or something else?

The barrel is pretty sloppy on its hinge and I don't know if there are shims to take up the slack. The exploded diagram on Chambers' site is quite poor in this area so I don't know if such a thing is available?

The push rod that connects the barrel to the piston is missing a spacer and will need a new split pin. Not sure if it has any other method of being held as the diagram is again a bit rough.

My question is: are detailed stripdown manuals available for this rifle? I see there used to be ones available but were taken down for copyright reasons. I'd be happy to pay for one so that's not a problem.

As I'm new here it'd be useful to know how often Mercurys turn up for sale. Spares, repair or even a donor rifle would obviously be great as it'd let me get my rifle back into service. Are they reasonably common or like hen's teeth to get hold of?

Really I'd like to know whether it's worth fixing or not? It does have sentimental value to me so I'd not get rid of it if it wasn't. If it's not reasonably fixable then would a Diana 23 .177" (my other rifle) be any use on rats and rabbits? I've got a Nikko Sterling 4 x 40 scope on the Mercury right now but it could easily be moved providing the Diana has the rails for it (not sure as it's not here right now). If that's no good and the Mercury is fubared then what would be decent .22" full-power rifle to go for? I'd rather go for second-hand than new as I can't afford a good rifle and I really hate cheap chinese metal.

Thanks for any help you can give!

All the best.
    --
    Cheers,
    Darren Clark

Welcome to Airgun BBS. The piston is the same as the Mk V and VI airsporter and you should be able to pick one up on here or on a well known auction site. Just tap the pin out on the piston head. You could modify the barrel hinge to take a bolt like the Mercury S. Most of the pins and washers etc are available (at a cost) from either Chambers or Knibbs. Chambers used to do a kit, spring, seal, guide, top hat, and lube (£52.21). So you are probably looking at £70-£80 to refurb it. Dep[ends on condition and how far you take it. But if it has good memories , does it matter. Probably not worth too much more than what you would spend on it. Don't see too many Mercs on here but there must be a few about. I have been looking for some parts for an S model (or a donor gun, any other than MK1 and 2) for a while with no result. Don't think a Diana 23 would have much effect on a rat unless you had the barrel down it's throat.
    atb
    dogsbody

Had a quick look on e**y, see item number 230600640407
    atb
    dogsbody

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Bsa Mercury

Quickish reply. If you can find a piston (airsporter will fit as above post) then ask someone on here to weld it up for you. Red Bob has done a few for me. You can close the breech jaws up fairly easily on a Mercury as they are quite soft. I have used a small screw and nut with 2 washers. Put one washer on the outside of each jaw, put your screw though and wind the nut on.If you hold the nut with a spanner and use a screwdriver on the screw head you will see the jaws start to close up. Repeat till the breech block feels a good fit in the jaws. If you are on about the piece of plastic that sits in the cocking arm, that the pivot pin goes through, then a small tap washer or bit of leather with a small hole in will do the job of locating the pin.
    If you are not going to be shooting at over 30yards then a cheap Mk3/4/5 meteor would do the job cheaply but budget for a mainspring,piston O ring,buffer washer and breech washer. A mk6 meteor is a Gamo with a Bsa barrel. I dont like them but there is nothing much up with them. They do come up at around the £50 mark. The Mk3/4/5 can be picked up cheaper than that especially if they dont have open sights.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hi

Re your Mercury problems maybe a way around this try ringing BSA and only speak to John Sloan failing this why not get one turned down from a modern nylon or plastic ...I don't know if some of the other shop's could help...Manchester Airgun's...Protek ...or T.R Robb...only a thought....

Regard's

Inproved...

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I've added a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about in terms of damage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8268950...7626215857261/

Please excuse the terrier's toys in the photos, she will not leave the rifle well alone.

dogsbody: Lol, yes the Diana does seem somewhat light. It used to be my Dad's rifle which he used to take to the pictures in the 40s or 50s and shoot the Indians in cowboy films! Personally I think the world's a safer place with it out of his hands. It should make for lovely light weapon to target shoot with and it's in good condition, just needs some TLC and the stock oiling.

Thanks a lot for the fleabay link, it's in my watch list and I shall be bidding merrily when it comes up in a few days. There's a MK1 stock for a Mercury there as well and I shall be trying for that, even it needs a lot of work to make it fit it's in a damn sight better condition than my cracked and horribly coloured stock.

ggggr: My god man, do you know no bounds? Thank you so much for your help so far, the stripdown guide you PMed me about is great and the other help you've given is just fantastic.

I wouldn't shoot a non-FAC rifle with a view to killing vermin at anything higher than 40 yards so dropping down 25% shouldn't be a problem as the rabbits I'm going for seem to have never been hunted so are particularly easy to pick off. I shall keep my eyes peeled for a Meteor on this forum. Ideally I'd like to keep it under a ton for the rifle, which I think should be okay as I've no need for sights or scope as long as it has scope rails.

Thank you both once again. It's always nice to encounter friendly people online, such a shame it's not more common!

All the best.
    --
    Cheers,
    Darren Clark