Thread: Fwb P70/700 - Grip finish - Who Can do this ?

Fwb P70/700 - Grip finish - Who Can do this ?

Was wondering if anyone knows which UK stock maker, can give the 'rough' finish treatment to a Fwb P70/700 laminate grip like in the picture ?

Thanks for any info.

Almost anyone can do this if they have the correct tools - any woodworker would certainly be able to put a 'stipple' finish on for you. If you feel adventurous, get a dremmel and try it yourself on some old ply wood.

Best results require time and patience. Try Googling 'stippling' as a start.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    It's actually very easy. I was fortunate to be able to watch Walther craftsmen do it 30 years ago and have done my own ever since.
    The modern ones they do large areas with an electric tool but its just as easy by hand. The principle is hammering/vibrating not drilling so if you want to do it by power you need a tool like a vibrating engraver rather than a dremel. There are also multiple head hand tools but I use a single spike such as a sharp fine- ish centre punch.
    Use a small pin hammer to keep it under control and tap the punch lightly but fast in multiple strikes, you don't want to hold the punch too tight otherwise you get too many strikes on the same spot. The trick is to let the punch "float" so that it wanders over an area, the lighter the strike and more pointed the punch the finer the stippling, harder and more angled the point the stippling is then coarser. I do a carefull single line with a fine point to form the edge and then fill in the area.
    Get a piece of hardwood and practice first, keep the punch sharp and experiment with the size of the point, with care its not only easy but very satisfying, I can do a grip in about an hour and the finish is as good or better than the factory ones, I then oil the finished grip.
    Go for it! Have fun.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for the advice .

I'd be more than happy if you wanted to take on this project Robin ?

Do you have time to post any pics ?

Cheers

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Hi Pete

No Sorry, I'm really not interested in taking jobs, I've replied to your PM, have a practice go yourself and you'll see how easy it is, what grip is it you want it on, is it new?
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 14-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Closest to you would be Steve Lanyman, High Wycombe, he's on ShootingTheBreeze.com

But, it is really easy, as said previously, pin punch/nail or Dremmel with fine cutter, try it out on a bit of old wood.

Quote Originally Posted by steveggg View Post
    Closest to you would be Steve Lanyman, High Wycombe, he's on ShootingTheBreeze.com

But, it is really easy, as said previously, pin punch/nail or Dremmel with fine cutter, try it out on a bit of old wood.

Robin & Steve,

Thanks again for advice...honestly, have no time for another hobby such as 'woodwork' due to work commitments, and also as Im an 'impatient sod' ... so will indeed contact Steve Lanyman to work on the grip....price , non issue for someone to do this for me ...

ATB