Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Breakdown Model Variations

BSA Breakdown Model Variations

As title, can you help me with some research?

According to Dennis Hiller, there were two models. The first from 1932 to 1935 serial numbered from 101 to 6642. BSA then started serial numbering from 1 but prefixed each number with a B between 1935 and 1939, when Hiller mentions the highest number known as B8562. If all the serial numbers were used, that makes a production run of just over 15000. The Breakdown is not especially rare, so total production was probably not wide of this estimate. However, BSA left lots of unused numbers in their serial number range at this time on underlevers, so it is just as likely there were gaps with the Breakdown.

Why did they start numbering again with a B prefix? My guess is to bring the breakdown in line with their underlevers, as both the A and T series were introduced around this time and were after all, continued production of their No1 and No2 L and S models, respectively.

Anyway, onto the breakdown, I am aware there are some smoothbore versions out there and ones with cork adaptors for fairground gallery use - Anyone seen one?

According to my records, B prefixed models are very much in the majority but what, if any are the differences between 1932-1935 models and the B prefixed 1935 - 1939 models? Is the barrel hinge a pin or screw on both models?

Does anyone have an early breakdown with no B prefix and perhaps a late B to compare side by side?

Many thanks in anticipation...

John

Breakdown Pattern

Hi John I am sat with number 4338 on my lap no letter prefix at all but if you need photos or any information I can glean from my gun I will gladly help you out ,just let me know what I can do
    Regards Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Hi Martini,
    That is very kind of you. If possible, can you send close up photos of the breech area from all 4 angles (top, bottom, left and right) as well as the trigger block? Also, pics of the rifle partly cocked from left and right with the pics closed in on the parts involved in the cocking process only. No rush but that should enable me to compare your rifle to my B prefixed model.

Kind regards,
    John

Hi John,
    I have serial number 1600 here I will get some shots together for you...
    Dave...

No Problem John

Getting some photos together for you now
    Regards Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

BSA breakdown

Hi,
    I have B4034. According to John knibbs book 'The golden century' where he lists all firearm prefixes only, 'B' is for 'breakdown pattern .177 1932 - 1939'

Chris.

Thanks All,

B for Breakdown sounds logical but not sure why they didn't start off with this prefix in 1932? Starting again from scratch must have been done for a good reason.

Would love to hear of some genuine recollections of Breakdowns being used on fairground shooting galleries. Possibly just within living memory of some senior shooters.

Kind regards,
    John

John,

I have serial numbers

4541,B5153 and B176

I can also do some shots if you would like, however probably wont be able to sort out the photography until the weekend.

ATB

Lakey

Thanks Lakey,

No rush for pics but I would be interested in any differences you have noted in due course.

So far, the only difference I can see is when comparing a non prefixed model to my B4667, the angle on the chamfer on the front of the cocking lever, where it radiuses in to fit inside the breech block differs. The early version is vertical, while the B prefix angles back at a slight angle.

There are a couple of small marks on the trigger block of my B. Firstly a B stamped at 90 degrees to the serial number, just on top of the trigger guard dovetail. Then there is 14 stamped on the lower right side of the trigger block, again on its side, so it is the right way up to read when the rifle is pointing muzzle down. The lower part of the stock has 16 or 91 stamped just behind the rear of the trigger guard - no idea what any of these mean?

The lower part of the barrel, just in front of the breech block has some markings, which I believe are inspection marks.

Finally, the front left side of the backsight (bit nearest the muzzle) is stamped with a P. Never seen this before.

This is certainly a difficult model to categorise or date from features alone.

I've said before and will again, the Breakdown has been underated and even underpriced in the past. They are a cracking little rifle with good consistant performance downrange.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

Just looked at my Breakdown Serial no B7900 late no;- 1939?? .It does not appear to have any other marks anywhere.It's just quite pleasant to shoot however it need's a new breach seal...

Regard's

Inproved ..Steve....

Hi John,
    I took a few shots of the rifle earlier, if you need more let me know.
    Underneath the pictures in the gallery you will see a size selector if you set it at original you will zoom right in I used my limited lens but hand held so they may be a bit shaky at full res if you need clearer shots of any part I will get the tripod out

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/bsa_breakdown

Dave...

Hi John, I have number 531, B1930, B3739 and B7887.
    ATB Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Thanks Dave and Marsh,

Those photos are spot on. One thing springs immediately to mind and that is the absence of the knurled section at the cylinder/breech jaws junction. I can see the join but not the knurled section you would expect to see. Yours is the only one I know of without this feature. Not sure if it has worn away?

Kind regards,
    John

edbear2 Guest
    Here you go John, gun number B877, (1938...when it cost £2-10 shillings)

Gun overall

Breech L.H.S.

Breech L.H.S. (open)

Breech (from above)

Breech R.H.S.

Breech R.H.S. (open)

Under Barrel marks

Serial Number

One of my better days at malvern

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Here you go John, gun number B877, (1938...when it cost £2-10 shillings)

Gun overall

Breech L.H.S.

Breech L.H.S. (open)

Breech (from above)

Breech R.H.S.

Breech R.H.S. (open)

Under Barrel marks

Serial Number

One of my better days at malvern
    Bloody hell Eddie, it looks almost new.

It's not fair.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.