Thread: BSA Breakdown Model Variations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Breakdown Model Variations

As title, can you help me with some research?

According to Dennis Hiller, there were two models. The first from 1932 to 1935 serial numbered from 101 to 6642. BSA then started serial numbering from 1 but prefixed each number with a B between 1935 and 1939, when Hiller mentions the highest number known as B8562. If all the serial numbers were used, that makes a production run of just over 15000. The Breakdown is not especially rare, so total production was probably not wide of this estimate. However, BSA left lots of unused numbers in their serial number range at this time on underlevers, so it is just as likely there were gaps with the Breakdown.

Why did they start numbering again with a B prefix? My guess is to bring the breakdown in line with their underlevers, as both the A and T series were introduced around this time and were after all, continued production of their No1 and No2 L and S models, respectively.

Anyway, onto the breakdown, I am aware there are some smoothbore versions out there and ones with cork adaptors for fairground gallery use - Anyone seen one?

According to my records, B prefixed models are very much in the majority but what, if any are the differences between 1932-1935 models and the B prefixed 1935 - 1939 models? Is the barrel hinge a pin or screw on both models?

Does anyone have an early breakdown with no B prefix and perhaps a late B to compare side by side?

Many thanks in anticipation...

John

Breakdown Pattern

Hi John I am sat with number 4338 on my lap no letter prefix at all but if you need photos or any information I can glean from my gun I will gladly help you out ,just let me know what I can do
    Regards Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Hi Martini,
    That is very kind of you. If possible, can you send close up photos of the breech area from all 4 angles (top, bottom, left and right) as well as the trigger block? Also, pics of the rifle partly cocked from left and right with the pics closed in on the parts involved in the cocking process only. No rush but that should enable me to compare your rifle to my B prefixed model.

Kind regards,
    John

Hi John,
    I have serial number 1600 here I will get some shots together for you...
    Dave...

No Problem John

Getting some photos together for you now
    Regards Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

BSA breakdown

Hi,
    I have B4034. According to John knibbs book 'The golden century' where he lists all firearm prefixes only, 'B' is for 'breakdown pattern .177 1932 - 1939'

Chris.