Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martini Henry on FAC advise

Martini Henry on FAC advise

Hi please could some one offer me advise on putting a Martini Henry 577/450 on my Firearm certificate. I am looking to do a one for one variation with a an unused slot on my licence and am wondering on what to put

Calibre i assume i put .577/.450 ?

Type Rifle

Action Martini

Identification Number No Visible Number

If i do place a Martini on my licence and it changes from a Sec 58 antique to a Sec 1 firearm and find the rifle cant shoot worth alight can i change the rifle back to a Sec 58 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrit View Post
    Hi please could some one offer me advise on putting a Martini Henry 577/450 on my Firearm certificate. I am looking to do a one for one variation with a an unused slot on my licence and am wondering on what to put

Type Rifle

Action Martini

If i do place a Martini on my licence and it changes from a Sec 58 antique to a Sec 1 firearm and find the rifle cant shoot worth alight can i change the rifle back to a Sec 58 ?
    HI,
    The calibre you need to put down is .45/577, .45 is the calibre of the rifle.
    The case is .577.
    Type :Rifle.
    Action:Single shot.
    Id No. as stated-no visible number.

Because the rifle is classed as an obsolete calibre it is technically an antique and you can take it off your FAC when ever you want, and put it back at a later date.
    You must remember to inform the Firearms Dept of any changes, and they get a bit miffed if you keep putting it on and taking it off.
    When it is on your FAC you need to lock the gun in a cabinet.
    If you take it off your FAC you can hang it on the wall.

Hope this helps.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    HI,
    The case is .577.

Because the rifle is classed as an obsolete calibre it is technically an antique and you can take it off your FAC when ever you want, and put it back at a later date.
    You must remember to inform the Firearms Dept of any changes, and they get a bit miffed if you keep putting it on and taking it off.

Hope this helps.
    You are asking for a variation on your licence for a calibre, not a specific rifle, there for when you have acquired the said rifle, you notify action ID number ect, so if the rifle you acquire is not capable of being fired, hang it on your wall as a antique buy another one notify and shoot.

So just to confirm

Do i put the calibre down as .45 when i put in for variation. i do not need to add the 577 ?
    thanks for your help

I would list it as 45/577 that is the designated calibre.

For example:- a .308"Winchester and a 30-06 are both .30 calibre but they have to be listed under their respective calibre not just as .30 cal.

Atb

List it as a 450-577 as they might not allow just .45 cal as an antique caliber where as 450-577 is in the home office list as an obsolete caliber.

I would ring and ask. As others have said, they may want just the calibre or they may want the chambering. You never can tell!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    HI,
    The case is .577.

Hope this helps.
    I guess if you owned 2 at the same time, one on FAC and one not, one would be a dangerous firearm that needed to be in a cabinet, while the other would be a harmless antique that your kids could play with.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I am sure the correct way to write it is 577-45 not 45-577. Not that your local policeman will care] :-)
    Barry

Mine is listed on the ticket as 450-577
    Regards JOHN

Just registered mine

I bought it as an antique and filled out empty .450/577 slot on my FAC myself. Quick letter to issuing force (Thames Valley in this case) with details and all seems to be well...now kept in cabinet though

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I guess if you owned 2 at the same time, one on FAC and one not, one would be a dangerous firearm that needed to be in a cabinet, while the other would be a harmless antique that your kids could play with.

Jim
    Jim

Absurdly that is 100% correct

Richard

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Jim

Absurdly that is 100% correct

Richard

And think of the legal hot water you'd be in if you got the FAC one confused with the non-FAC one: which is identical, and not one iota more or one iota less deadly!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    And think of the legal hot water you'd be in if you got the FAC one confused with the non-FAC one: which is identical, and not one iota more or one iota less deadly!

Jim
    Immagine the confusion and mental anguish if niether of them had a serial number
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrit View Post

Type Rifle

Action Martini

Hi I wanted to do exactly what you want to do and there is no problem going from a sec 58 to sec1, the problems start when you want to revert it back basically i have been told this is a one way deal once its section one that is it you cannot revert it back to 58, might be worht a call to the sportmans accocation just to confirm but I belive this is the case.