Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martini Henry on FAC advise

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Adept View Post
    Hi I wanted to do exactly what you want to do and there is no problem going from a sec 58 to sec1, the problems start when you want to revert it back basically i have been told this is a one way deal once its section one that is it you cannot revert it back to 58, might be worht a call to the sportmans accocation just to confirm but I belive this is the case.
    Going back to section 58 isn't a problem either. Prior to selling it all I did was write the Firearms section a letter stating that I no longer planned to use the gun and that I had no ammunition left for it, and requested that they remove it from my certificate. Norfolk police were most obliging.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Adept View Post
    Hi I wanted to do exactly what you want to do and there is no problem going from a sec 58 to sec1, the problems start when you want to revert it back basically i have been told this is a one way deal once its section one that is it you cannot revert it back to 58, might be worht a call to the sportmans accocation just to confirm but I belive this is the case.
    Sounds like someone is getting this confused with changing an airgun from off ticket to S.1. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was an FEO. They seem to be getting more random by the day.

I queried this exact question with Suffolk firearms dept. They told me 450/577. They were not happy with the no visible serial number. When I had a visit for a variation the FEO looked at the rifle and took a 3 digit number of the trigger guard and put that down as the serial number.
    Hope this helps.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Not sure thats a serial number, certainly isn't like the one on my MkIV from IMA. Remove the lower wooden handguard under the barrel & its one letter followed by 4 digits stamped onto the barrel and/or the receiver.

http://www.martinihenry.com/faq.htm
    See FAQ #9.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

You are quite correct sir. The serial number is under the woodwork. And on the rear sight, minus the letter. You need eyes like a sh$thouse rat to see it. The word is..visible...I never found out until after the FEO's visit. This was some years ago.
    Last edited by martindl99; 25-06-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Editing.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Agreed, but all FEO's are different & if they insist on a serial then the right one is probably best. Mine is still S58, I'll try the "no visible" when I want to shoot it.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)