Thread: Lincoln Jeffries stock???

Lincoln Jeffries stock???

Hi Anyone know what rifle this will have come from??

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

I refinished a set of stocks for a mates 410 shottie and he brought me this today

He thought it was from an early military gun..

It has some fantastic tiger striping that my cra**y photographing won't pick up

There is some more writing on the stock close to the butt end which says Trade Mark.

I'm going to give it the treatment and am hoping it will fit my 1936 standard (as a spare)

This was the shottie stock, it was very light honey coloured beech which he hated..

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi John,
    I think you are right in saying the stock is from a Lincoln Jeffries air rifle. The equivalent model also produced by BSA but under their own name did not have this stamping on the right side of the butt, but had BSA pilearm trademarks on the left side. I have a BSA Lincoln Jeffries patent model from the first batch marked as BSA's in 1905. If you remove the finish carefully you may find Lincoln Jeffries trademark of a man with a dog shooting a gun towards the rear end on the right side of the stock.

PS how's the original trigger doing? atb, John

Nitro-Express (aka?)

Me again, sorry, I forgot to say that the stock on my Lincoln Pattern BSA is much more dainty and slimmer than the stock on either my 1913 early Standard (virtually an Imp mod D) or the stock on my 1938 T series Standard. Dunno if they are interchangeable??

Nitro-Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro-Express View Post
    Hi John,
    I think you are right in saying the stock is from a Lincoln Jeffries air rifle. The equivalent model also produced by BSA but under their own name did not have this stamping on the right side of the butt, but had BSA pilearm trademarks on the left side. I have a BSA Lincoln Jeffries patent model from the first batch marked as BSA's in 1905. If you remove the finish carefully you may find Lincoln Jeffries trademark of a man with a dog shooting a gun towards the rear end on the right side of the stock.

PS how's the original trigger doing? atb, John

Nitro-Express (aka?)
    Hey up John

The Original 50 is a smooth as silk now (all thanks to you lovely trigger blade ) I just wore my fingers and hands out fitting it

Thanks for the info on the stock, it should fit my BSA Standard then

Cheers, John

Lincoln BSA

I am certain it is from a Lincoln Jefferies rifle dated from between 1906-1913. I have put a link to show you what the standing man stamped on the back of the stock should look like to help if you restore it. http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...n/DSC_1370.jpg

I would not bother keeping it as a spare for your standard. I think you might just about get enough from selling it on that auction site to buy another complete BSA standard. Spares seem to get a really good price compared to complete rifles.

Caddy.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi John, looks to be an 'H' the Lincoln one to me mate......I have seen BSA's however a little later in period (1919 and on) with the Lincoln stamp, but obviously he was a retailer too and so stamped the woodwork with his address / trademark.

The wood to metal joint and pin location are the same from 1905-39.....all stocks interchange....BUT...

It depends on the type of trigger guard, ie. the tang in-letting on the pistol grip area, very early guns had a full length tang, but the majority seen pre 1914 are cast units, with the stock having no inletting.....so the only later guns that these early stocks fit (without modification) are the later standards with the simple tang less guard.

Look at the gun 4th from the left in this pic, Its a .22 standard from the 20's with this type of sheet trigger guard, but an early straight stock

If you have the steel butt plate as well, you have been given a nice pressie!.......I have seen one of these make the high sixties in price, they will normally make 20-40% more than a similar period BSA one.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi John, looks to be an 'H' the Lincoln one to me mate......I have seen BSA's however a little later in period (1919 and on) with the Lincoln stamp, but obviously he was a retailer too and so stamped the woodwork with his address / trademark.

The wood to metal joint and pin location are the same from 1905-39.....all stocks interchange....BUT...

It depends on the type of trigger guard, ie. the tang in-letting on the pistol grip area, very early guns had a full length tang, but the majority seen pre 1914 are cast units, with the stock having no inletting.....so the only later guns that these early stocks fit (without modification) are the later standards with the simple tang less guard.

Look at the gun 4th from the left in this pic, Its a .22 standard from the 20's with this type of sheet trigger guard, but an early straight stock

If you have the steel butt plate as well, you have been given a nice pressie!.......I have seen one of these make the high sixties in price, they will normally make 20-40% more than a similar period BSA one.

Hi Ed

Every time I look at that pic it makes me want to sell my modern guns and just buy the early Beesas and LJ's

Unfortunately the steel butt plate didn't come with it though the stock bolt did (it was jammed into the hole )

Many thanks, John

I just took a peek at Edbear2's pic. WOW! I may have to hate him!

(Just jealous, what a great collection sir. Well done.)