Thread: pyrodex

pyrodex

Any one shooting pyrodex in a Ruger Old Army. I usually stick to Swiss but got FFG and FFFG pyrodex recently with a box of bits i bought. I know you use it equivelent by volume to b/p but have read somewhere that Ruger recomend 20grns for target shooting which seems quite a lot to me. Also is it the same load as 777.?
    Tim

It should be measured by volume rather than weight, as I was told; my FWB History No1 should take 10.5 grains of BP but, the same volume of Pyrodex weighs about 8.4 grains a 20% reduction in weight. Hope this helps

Pyrodex

Hi!

Just taking my first furtive steps into the world of BP with a Martini Henry. Just reloaded some cartridges last night with Pyrodex RS, but my understanding is its more volatile than BP (up to 30% more) so I used this handy site to do a conversion

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

Sure the more (way more!) experienced members on here will have something to say though...

If you don't hear from me after I shoot it this Sunday, you know I got it wrong ;-)

god forbid if anything goes wrong but if it did can i have your rifle please. you be ok mate as long as you stay within the stated data....i have 2 gehandras which i will fire soon but they are not as strong as the mh

Rifles

I'm sure my wife would gladly sell "the bloody things" (as she fondly refers to them ) to you at a great price on my departure from this mortal plane...

Can't wait for Sunday!

don't know if it helps but I use 777 fffg in my ROA, my powder is by weight and not volume. I weigh the powder at home and put it in small glass phials. I am currently using 14.5gn, a 1/2" fibre wad (between powder and bullet) and a home cast Lee 220gn conical reversed to be a wad cutter. this load works really well for me cuts nice clean holes and I can group sub 4" at 20yds. I do not put any gunk on top of the bullet to seal the chamber as the wad and bullet do it.

hope it helps

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Sorry loiner1965

..still here!

Just back from a great afternoon shooting the Martini Henry!.

Seems 58.2 grains BY WEIGHT of Pyrodex RS, Tesco's finest economy Scottish porridge oats, a small felt wad and a greased up 500 grain Lee cast moulded bullet is great combination!.

All in the black, including a V-Bull at 200 yrds!

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    ..still here!

Just back from a great afternoon shooting the Martini Henry!.

Seems 58.2 grains BY WEIGHT of Pyrodex RS, Tesco's finest economy Scottish porridge oats, a small felt wad and a greased up 500 grain Lee cast moulded bullet is great combination!.

All in the black, including a V-Bull at 200 yrds!
    Nor smiling MUCH then ..

Well done that man !!

Roy

Still smiling

..have to admit, feeling pretty smug . John at fultons wants the rifle back, got it to cheap if it shoots that well apparently!

Looks like the shot to shot consistancy rumours of Pyrodex hold true then.

The lee mould creates "flat head" bullets, didn't think they'd travel so well?!. Markers confirmed the there was no "key holing". Nice neat holes despite no patching what so ever...

brilliant news mate......for you
    really pleased the old girl did you justice

filler?

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Any one shooting pyrodex in a Ruger Old Army. I usually stick to Swiss but got FFG and FFFG pyrodex recently with a box of bits i bought. I know you use it equivelent by volume to b/p but have read somewhere that Ruger recomend 20grns for target shooting which seems quite a lot to me. Also is it the same load as 777.?
    Tim

If we go on the principle that the ball must sit on the powder (BP or Pyrodex) and slightly compress it to leave no air gaps then the load recommended by Ruger seems sensible if you assume no wad or filler. However if you use a thick wad under the ball then you can use less powder and still compress it. Take the argument further and use an inert filler like semolina or soap-powder, then you could use 10 grains of Pyrodex and top up with enough filler so that the seated ball was a couple of mm below the chamber mouth compressing the powders beneath it. You are only trying to get the ball through a piece of card at 20-25 yds, and you can fine tune the load so you get the tightest group that you and the gun are capable of producing. Reproducibility of load shot after shot is a key factor. A plus factor in reducing the Pyrodex/BP quantity is the reduction in recoil which may help some people to tighten their groups. On a cost basis semolina is a lot cheaper volume for volume than Pyrodex or 777 or Swiss so you can save a bit on your shooting cost too!

777 and Pyrodex do not have the same reduction factors.

Many Thanks for the responces. Will load up some viles with various weights around the 10-14 grn mark and see how we go. I have a mold for the conical bullet but found them fiddley to load, never thought about using them backwards so will give that a go also.
    I generally shoot 17 grns of Swiss so allowing a 20 per cent reduction 13.5 should be somewhere near. Tim

Pyrodex: I use 20grns (volume) in my .44 Remington s/s Euroarms. Experimented up to 24 grns, however 20grns pretty good.
    Trex and beeswax mixture over ball. Tried wads - shop bought and made my own and various fillers, but settled on aforementioned.
    Tried various types of caps, but find Remington number 11's the best.

When using Pyrodex get the gun cleaned well as quick as possible. VERY IMPORTANT IT IS MORE CORROSIVE THAN REAL BLACK POWDER. You may be better going down the 777 avenue, its not as corrosive.

I know someone who has a La Page and forgot to clean it after using 777 - left it for a week NO adverse effects whatsoever. 777 more ooomph though, I think 20% more than B/P and Pyrodex.