Thread: pyrodex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It should be measured by volume rather than weight, as I was told; my FWB History No1 should take 10.5 grains of BP but, the same volume of Pyrodex weighs about 8.4 grains a 20% reduction in weight. Hope this helps

Pyrodex

Hi!

Just taking my first furtive steps into the world of BP with a Martini Henry. Just reloaded some cartridges last night with Pyrodex RS, but my understanding is its more volatile than BP (up to 30% more) so I used this handy site to do a conversion

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

Sure the more (way more!) experienced members on here will have something to say though...

If you don't hear from me after I shoot it this Sunday, you know I got it wrong ;-)

god forbid if anything goes wrong but if it did can i have your rifle please. you be ok mate as long as you stay within the stated data....i have 2 gehandras which i will fire soon but they are not as strong as the mh

Rifles

I'm sure my wife would gladly sell "the bloody things" (as she fondly refers to them ) to you at a great price on my departure from this mortal plane...

Can't wait for Sunday!

don't know if it helps but I use 777 fffg in my ROA, my powder is by weight and not volume. I weigh the powder at home and put it in small glass phials. I am currently using 14.5gn, a 1/2" fibre wad (between powder and bullet) and a home cast Lee 220gn conical reversed to be a wad cutter. this load works really well for me cuts nice clean holes and I can group sub 4" at 20yds. I do not put any gunk on top of the bullet to seal the chamber as the wad and bullet do it.

hope it helps

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Sorry loiner1965

..still here!

Just back from a great afternoon shooting the Martini Henry!.

Seems 58.2 grains BY WEIGHT of Pyrodex RS, Tesco's finest economy Scottish porridge oats, a small felt wad and a greased up 500 grain Lee cast moulded bullet is great combination!.

All in the black, including a V-Bull at 200 yrds!

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    ..still here!

Just back from a great afternoon shooting the Martini Henry!.

Seems 58.2 grains BY WEIGHT of Pyrodex RS, Tesco's finest economy Scottish porridge oats, a small felt wad and a greased up 500 grain Lee cast moulded bullet is great combination!.

All in the black, including a V-Bull at 200 yrds!
    Nor smiling MUCH then ..

Well done that man !!

Roy