Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22RF pistol

Thanks again Chris, that's really helpful.

I have to admit I'm dithering something chronic! I want a pistol but only one as I can't spare more than one slot what with all my other toys, not to mention the money, and I just can't make my mind up.

I like cowboy guns and I'm just about to start reloading .38 so the Buntline seems the obvious choice. Then I look at Alan Westlake's .22s and I think I want one of them. Then I think maybe a Taurus would make more sense as I could use it for plate shooting too but I already have the Rossi so maybe that doesn't matter.

Damn licensing rules. I just want them all!

I think I'll have a look round the Phoenix and see what arouses me most.

Quote Originally Posted by ptheta View Post
    Thanks again Chris, that's really helpful.

I have to admit I'm dithering something chronic! I want a pistol but only one as I can't spare more than one slot what with all my other toys, not to mention the money, and I just can't make my mind up.

I like cowboy guns and I'm just about to start reloading .38 so the Buntline seems the obvious choice. Then I look at Alan Westlake's .22s and I think I want one of them. Then I think maybe a Taurus would make more sense as I could use it for plate shooting too but I already have the Rossi so maybe that doesn't matter.

Damn licensing rules. I just want them all!

I think I'll have a look round the Phoenix and see what arouses me most.
    If your going to enter some of the main events like The Pheonix, The Imperial or either of the action weekends. I dont see any issues in getting a variation for an increase in slots. Speak to your local FEO and see. Just remember when you exceed 12 guns (inclusive of shotguns) they will send out crime prevention and stipulate aditional security measures

rgs

Chris

It's that magic 12 limit I'm thinking of. I'm up to 9 already and I don't have a .308 yet.

I wasn't intending to compete in the Phoenix, not this year anyway. I just wanted to see what was for sale to help me make up my mind. I'm planning to take the day off work and go down on the Friday as hopefully it won't be too busy.

Its not a big deal. The Crime prevention officer will take you through what security upgrades are required. You can do this before you even spend any chash. All you need to do is call your local FEO. Advise you are thinking of putting in a variation that will take you over 12 guns and that before you submit the paperwork would they be able to book crime prevantion to see you to discuss what security upgrades would be required. If after the visit the cost is too prohibitive then you have lost nothing.

When I had my last visit from FLO he said I'd need a monitored alarm system to go above 12. Now I know that some BASC members have found ways around this but I don't want to set myself up for a fight so I'm going to take them at their word. I imagine I shall eventually go down this route but not for the next couple of years.

I could probably squeeze two pistols in in the meantime but I'll only be able to fund one this year. Hmm, .38 LBR or .22 semi? Life can be tough sometimes...

www.thetunnel.co.uk

These guys do an interesting 1911 .22 LBP

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Cheers Jim,
    As i shoot alot of LBR I have built up quite a few pictures of LBR's and info on them. Most people who buy the Uberti Buntline get a rod welded to the grip and cut the barrel down to 12" . Thats what we use to do the the Ruger Redhawk. Ruger exported them to the UK with an 18" barrel and no rod or brace fitted. However they didnt like it when we started cutting them down and welding the rod so there ceased exporting them Pitty as they are much better guns than a the Taurus.

Chris

This is an original Uberti Buntline
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480.../395857975.jpg

and this is a modified one

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480.../395857976.jpg

This is an original Ruger Redhawk LBR no modification. They are superb but way too heavy

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480.../395857880.jpg

and this is what they are like after modification
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480.../395857881.jpg
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480.../395857882.jpg
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480.../395852032.jpg

Yes, I definitely prefer the modified versions.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Roodles View Post
    I reload .38 special for about £3.50 ($5.75) for 50... It's the same price as 22lr

Also milsurp for my AK is currently £7.75 ($12.70) per 50, which also isn't bad
    If you're going centerfire, reloading's the only way to go!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi and Thanks for the great response and interesting read.
    I personally am restricted as my club only allows .22rf and air weapons. At the moment I have 3x .22 rifles and a few air rifles and a couple of air pistols, my pistols have been my latest purchases and my ability has improved at a resonable pace and now you probably can see why I am thinking of getting a long barrel pistol.
    I have applied for membership at worcester norton this would enable me to have a greater choice, for the mean time I must continue with what I have.
    I am very happy with .22rf by the way and enjoying many postal comps through my club so, please dont think I am complaining LOL
    ATB
    Mick
    HW100KT .177cal, FWB300s .177cal,Steve Pope lazaglide tuned resetable safety
    HW97K .22cal, Brocock contour .177cal.
    FAC Valmet lion .22RF Target Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post

I thinks thats a cracking Ruger!!