Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feinwerkbau 124 sport tuning

Feinwerkbau 124 sport tuning

I have a old feinwerkbau 124 sport, which needs some TLC and tuning. It has a broken safety catch, and broken rear sight and is shooting well under power. Could someone recommend me a gunsmith in the Merseyside or Northwest area that could tune it for me. Thanks in advance.
    bubba1

Dave Mercer (DM80 on here) based in Farnworth near Bolton gets my vote even if he likes Relums.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Wise words from Mr Jones suprisingly. You will be rewarded with a superb gun that is a pleasure to shoot and own. It might also be worth investing in a "Maccari" tuning kit prior to having your gun fettled. Let us know how you get on with it.

Andy.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Wise words from Mr Jones suprisingly.

Andy.
    I'm often much maligned and misunderstood - but my spelling is O.K.

ATB
    Ian

Thanks for the replies guys, I have e.mailed Dave but have not had any reply as yet, I loved using this gun about twenty years ago and dug it out of the loft, and would love to get it back to what it was.... it's a.177 and I remember it being very powerful at one time. Andy could you give me soon more info on a Maccari tuning kit?? oh and I could do with some recommendations as to a good scope and what pellets to use for hunting if any one has any ideas???
    thanks again
    bubba1

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have e.mailed Dave but have not had any reply as yet, I loved using this gun about twenty years ago and dug it out of the loft, and would love to get it back to what it was.... it's a.177 and I remember it being very powerful at one time.
    bubba1
    Give Dave a chance. Hes a very busy and great gun smith but not a brilliant reader!

ATB
    Ian

Red face

will do

After looking about on this site and on the net I have ordered a pro mac kit from***.airrifleheadquarters.com, hope Dave will be able to fit it for me....

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have e.mailed Dave but have not had any reply as yet, I loved using this gun about twenty years ago and dug it out of the loft, and would love to get it back to what it was.... it's a.177 and I remember it being very powerful at one time. Andy could you give me soon more info on a Maccari tuning kit?? oh and I could do with some recommendations as to a good scope and what pellets to use for hunting if any one has any ideas???
    thanks again
    bubba1
    I can't help with scope advice, but I can give you some pellet data. I used to shoot my 124 with RWS Superdome. I recently tried Bisley LRG and JSB Exact 4.51.

After about 300 shots (gun still bedding in after a rebuild). The averages from a 10 shot string were:-

Bisley Long range gold 7.3gr = 10.46 ft/lbs 787fps
    Superdome 8.3 = 10.35 ft/lbs 749fps
    JSB exact (4.51) 8.4gr = 11.51 ft/lbs 783fps

Surprised me that the heaviest pellet was the fastest (edit1), and I've tested it out to 55yds and it's accurate. Now considering the 'mozzie' at 7.9gr, I haven't got any to try. It is very similar to the JSB exact, I might need to detune at some point in the near future.

Good luck on a happy 124 rebuild or tune up. Give the pellets I mentioned a try though.

(edit1) Not the fastest, but gave a higher reading over the chronoscope in ft/lbs. I suspect a better fitting pellet or a more compatible lead composition was the reason why.
    Last edited by Andy Bee; 08-12-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Additional
    "If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said" - Alan Greenspan.

Thanks for the advice Andy, those JSB's sound good. DM80 e.mailed me today and he is busy until the new year!!!!! after all the recommendations he has on this site I reckon I can wait till then!!
    Just need advice on a good hunting scope that will stay on the gun! as I remember the one I did have (now bust) used to move backwards slowly after a while, maybe because of recoil.
    Thanks again everyone for their advice
    bubba1

Personally, I have found that my own 124 prefers a diet of Falcon Accuracy Plus. They only weigh 7.3 but shoot nice and flat and are made by JSB.
    When I first managed to track down the 124, I decided to fit a "period" scope to go with it. Something along the lines of a Jap' Tasco 4x32/40 AG goes well if you can find one. They sometimes come up on here so keep your eyes open while you wait for gun to be sorted!
    Dont forget that you will need to get hold of a decent mount with the lateral arrestor pin to suit the FWB receiver grooves. Sportsmatch do a nice one piece mount to suit, an example of which I actually have on my 127. My 124 has an Ian Jones sourced Apel one piece.
    Good luck and keep us informed of any progress. It will be worth the wait and expense!
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    My 124 has an Ian Jones sourced Apel one piece.

Andy
    One of, if not THE best o/p mounting systems.
    Another suitable classic scope would be the Tasco 2-7x32 AG JAPANESE and not the pretender Chinese version. They still do appear occasionally.

ATB
    Ian

Thank you very much guys for your advice, I like the idea of a "period" scope to go with the feinwerkbau, and will get a sportsmatch mount, actually have just gone out and bought a second hand air arms pro sport .177 from Blackpool airguns with a Nikko scope, not shot it yet as I was going to give it to my son for Christmas....but what a good looking gun!!!!!still looking forward to the 124 being restored though, also as mentioned earlier I bought a pro mac kit for the 124 from the US (hasn't come yet) which I hope will make a difference when DM80 sorts it for me!!!!!
    Last edited by bubba1; 11-12-2010 at 06:54 PM.

btw when I first bought the gun many years ago I fitted it with a rhino 3-9x40 scope (now bust) can you still get then....just wondered?????

Again, bubba, they do occasionally come up for sale. You could try putting out a "wanted period scope for a good home" type post on this section. I bet there's thousands of cracking classic gun/scope combos lying about forgotten and unloved in cupboards and lofts all over the country, the poor souls.

Andy