Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D R Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    Mr Hughes

I don't suppose that you have a BSF55/ 70 handbook in the loft - or the original proof copy ??

If you do I would love to see ( and buy, if possible)
    Well, I've found the photographs, as the proof sheets and as a load of 8 x 10's, but nothing else. I can remember doing the rough notes etc but I think I abandoned the project when I closed down the firm. Even in those days a book meant a lot of money laid out before any came back. From memory several hundreds even in the 70's...

I'm sorry I can't say more than that. Looking at the photo's it doesn't seem too complicated a rifle to strip down. The 'scope ramp blocking the trigger unit baffled people (from memory and 35 to 40 years ago; so beware) and the mainspring was then free to be gradually released with a compressor once a nut was undone.

Regards, David

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    David I'm curious about your mention of an FWB200. I've seen pics of all the FWBs you mention except for the model 200.

I know an official FWB handbook actually had FWB 200 printed on it, because I have a copy myself, but my understanding is that this model never in fact went into production. I don't suppose you have seen one or heard of someone with a model 200, have you? If so, I'd love to know more about it.

I've seen and sold one or two but that's all: we made a point of gradually getting in one of everything as well as lots of the mainstream stuff. From memory it looked exactly like the 300 but had a very slight recoil. More or less in the same way that (say) the Walther LG 55's and the HW 55's recoiled meaning nothing you'd notice.

Looking at the little instruction manual that came with the 200 and 300, the makers don't seem to distinguish between them. Just a rifle that could be either is shown in the booklet. And the "Company News" announcing the 300 doesn't mention the 200.

Sorry I can't help more than that. What's really annoying is that we found the old sales register in November last year and realised that we ought to be thinking (again) about clearing the loft. Now we've started, and are working through about two dozen boxes of papers etc, I've lost the sales register. If I had it in my grubby hands I could tell you how many we sold and who to...

Regards, David

Quote Originally Posted by D R Hughes View Post
    I've seen and sold one or two but that's all: we made a point of gradually getting in one of everything as well as lots of the mainstream stuff. From memory it looked exactly like the 300 but had a very slight recoil. More or less in the same way that (say) the Walther LG 55's and the HW 55's recoiled meaning nothing you'd notice.

Looking at the little instruction manual that came with the 200 and 300, the makers don't seem to distinguish between them. Just a rifle that could be either is shown in the booklet. And the "Company News" announcing the 300 doesn't mention the 200.

Sorry I can't help more than that. What's really annoying is that we found the old sales register in November last year and realised that we ought to be thinking (again) about clearing the loft. Now we've started, and are working through about two dozen boxes of papers etc, I've lost the sales register. If I had it in my grubby hands I could tell you how many we sold and who to...

Regards, David
    Thank you. It sounds like the model 200 was to the 300 what the 110 was to the 150 - that is, its recoiling counterpart.

What's odd is that I think I've read somewhere that the recoiling model 110 was still being made (or at least sold) beyond the transition in 1969 from the 150 to 300 recoilless rifles, albeit in tiny numbers. In which case the model 200 would seem to have no slot in the production timeline.

Anyway, it would be fantastic to see some detailed pics of a model 200 since so far they have proved to be very elusive.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hw55

David

Can I pick your brain again, you mention the various models of HW50 that were available but did you ever import the HW55MF. As you know HW listed this as a 55 without the breech lock in the MM stock, I've never seen one and wondered if any made it to the UK thru your firm.

Excellent thread this and thank you for your time in answering all our questions. I hope to get to the Sutton Coldfield meet. I re read your 35 manual last night particularly the section on the history of the 35 and on the 30, 50 and 55 and it does hold many useful facts for anyone obsessed by HW's of the 60s, 70s and early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    David

Can I pick your brain again, you mention the various models of HW50 that were available but did you ever import the HW55MF. As you know HW listed this as a 55 without the breech lock in the MM stock, I've never seen one and wondered if any made it to the UK thru your firm.

Excellent thread this and thank you for your time in answering all our questions. I hope to get to the Sutton Coldfield meet. I re read your 35 manual last night particularly the section on the history of the 35 and on the 30, 50 and 55 and it does hold many useful facts for anyone obsessed by HW's of the 60s, 70s and early 80's.
    Hi (again),

I'm sorry to say we never had the 55 MF and I had to rummage through the collection of brochures to see why and the answer is "I dunno". The HW brochure I have is old enough to have had prices in it in £sd and several chages scribbled in but does mention it but I've not seen one. Now if it was a forearm weight or either barrel sleeve there'd be no problem.

BTW, this will depress you; the lowest price for the HW 55 SM is scribbled in as £15 =15/= or £15.75 in that stuff they pass off a money these days. And the HW 35 E at its highest £sd price was only £27-6/10d (£27.34) ... Them days is gone, alas.

Regards, David