Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: interesting weihrauch

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

interesting weihrauch

while in my local gunshop protek today the proprietor was telling me about a weihrauch
    made in the 50s called a barracuda,apparently made for another company;
    it had a facility to introduce ether in the chamber to boost compression rather like deliberate dieseling!! not surprisingly they are rather rare and i imagine may require an fac
    ,also not very consistent,no surprise there.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Ah the Barakuda 35 (a.k.a. EL54). Very rare as only a few were made. Mentioned in Wesley book were the muzzle energies vary considerably and its not unknown to break the main spring within a few hundred shots.
    Never seen one in the flesh and will never own one as its FAC.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

yup

as you say based on the 35 ,testimony to their inherent strength that they were considered for the task.i wonder if any have survived?.

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    a chap here on the island had one some years back.

very odd looking rifle.

think you would struggle to get ether to run it

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ah the Barakuda 35 (a.k.a. EL54). Very rare as only a few were made. Mentioned in Wesley book were the muzzle energies vary considerably and its not unknown to break the main spring within a few hundred shots.
    Never seen one in the flesh and will never own one as its FAC.

ATB
    Ian
    A few hundred were made. It seems that other HW 35's were adapted by various manufactures/gunsmiths, only rifles with the factory stamp 'BARAKUDA' are genuine though.
    The EL 54 was in production from 1954 t0 1981.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the air blast could blow the centre out of ordinary pellets thats why the Barakudda heavy weight pellet came into being.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Interesting to see that the rifles capability was based (in part) on the balls penetration into white pine. Was this the norm as chrono's were not as readily available back then?

Highly volatile gases in the compression chamber. Sounds like an engine with a barrel. Very interesting though.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    A few hundred were made. It seems that other HW 35's were adapted by various manufactures/gunsmiths, only rifles with the factory stamp 'BARAKUDA' are genuine though.
    The EL 54 was in production from 1954 t0 1981.
    Thats intresting ! I had an Original 35S with one on !

He wouldn,t sell me the Ether injection unit, Even though I bought the gun !!!! Alas Another escaped.
    The 35S suffered no damage, In fact I think its a stronger base !
    Cheers, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Interesting to see that the rifles capability was based (in part) on the balls penetration into white pine. Was this the norm as chrono's were not as readily available back then?

Highly volatile gases in the compression chamber. Sounds like an engine with a barrel. Very interesting though.
    Hi, Pine is in fact pretty standard ( As regards density ) & many of the older gun reports used Pine,
    The Lewis & Clarke gun mentioned it shooting through 1" Of pine at 100 Yards,

Also I read a report on a Winchester 44 Calibre shooting 4" Into a pine tree at 1000 Yards, Cheers, Ged.

The HW35 Barrakuda features in W.H.B. Smith's book, "Gas, Air, and Spring Guns of the World" written in the '50's.

thanks lakey

thanks mate for the piccs,ive never seen one before other than the 35 of which im glad to say i have a very nice example resting beside my fwb124.
    i know there is no way of proving the blurb but inch groupings at forty ft given its not quite a regulated kind of mixture so to speak or is it and i havent read it correctly.
    even ggggr gold scorpion cant achieve such a feat unless its using hardened sequienes as ammo.[we still mates]

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    ........Was this the norm as chrono's were not as readily available back then?

As Ged says, Yes this was the norm of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Thats intresting ! I had an Original 35S with one on !

He wouldn,t sell me the Ether injection unit, Even though I bought the gun !!!! Alas Another escaped.
    The 35S suffered no damage, In fact I think its a stronger base !
    Cheers, Ged.
    No doubt other manufacturers thought it was a good idea in the day Ged, Glad i never owned one, the ether would have knocked me out after a handful of shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro-Express View Post
    The HW35 Barrakuda features in W.H.B. Smith's book, "Gas, Air, and Spring Guns of the World" written in the '50's.
    That's probably because it first saw light of day in 1954.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

i love the bike,i know its off the thread but connecting two products in the single add !!
    and as for the brown pistol ,im drooling thanks trev.
    ps hope things are steadier over there now my relatives are still living on their nerves not far from you.