Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Necking down Magtech Shells to Martini Henry sizes

Necking down Magtech Shells to Martini Henry sizes

Hi all,

Inspired by the nurmourous internet articles and videos (and a possible cheap way to get MH brass), I've bought a box of magtech shotgun shells to try necking down.

Anyone done this before?, any learning experiences you can share?

Best regards,

Swidds

thank you!

Excellent article!, hadn't seen that on the forum so thanks for pointing it out

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    Hi all,

Inspired by the nurmourous internet articles and videos (and a possible cheap way to get MH brass), I've bought a box of magtech shotgun shells to try necking down.

Anyone done this before?, any learning experiences you can share?

Best regards,

Swidds
    Can I be nosy and ask where you got them from and how much you paid?
    Thanks

got thm

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    Can I be nosy and ask where you got them from and how much you paid?
    Thanks
    From midway uk matey

thanks, I will have to order some

Necking down Magtech Shells to Martini Henry sizes

Will be interested how they turn out. Have been thinking of doing this myself for a while.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Got my Mk IV from IMA yesterday, exactly my line of thought currently. It looks "fairly" easy, but really need an intermediate sizing die - any ideas where to get one ?
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Necking die

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Got my Mk IV from IMA yesterday, exactly my line of thought currently. It looks "fairly" easy, but really need an intermediate sizing die - any ideas where to get one ?
    I watched one of the YouTube videos that said he'd drilled out a Lee die to get an intermediate necking die before using the Lee Martini set to finish the necking process?. Might be one on US fleebay?.

Still haven't had time to try my magtech's yet, will report back as soon as I do

Ima mh

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Hi! very interested to know what you IMA MH is like? are you pleased with it?, did you choose the "Hand picked" option?

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Hi Swidds - yes very pleased. I did get a hand picked one, also ordered the sword bayonet with it. I've given it a rudimentary clean to get the "yak grease & brick dust" off of it. The bore looks good, and when I stripped the action & woodwork I couldn't see any serious problems. The forestock had rotted very slightly around the bracket, but I'm cleaning it out & filling it. Otherwise it wont need much work hopefully.

There was a forum post somewhere I saw that said the .577 Snider sizing die could be used as an intermediate for the 577/450 MH - not sure about that. I also saw the YouTube clip about altering a die, not sure who I could get to do this. I may just buy some cases to get me started & do my own later.

ATB
    Dave
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

i have a full set of martini dies but my mates making me the modified die so i can make cases out of the magtec brass...you can use a pistol die to neck size the case but my memory as eluded me at this moment
    edit.....think its the ruger 380 pistol die which can also neck size the mh case,
    Last edited by loiner1965; 25-04-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Might try

turning something on my lathe...in between the millions of other jobs life seems to have set for me at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    turning something on my lathe...in between the millions of other jobs life seems to have set for me at the moment
    keep us informed how you get on