Thread: Webley Mk3 spring

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!

Webley Mk3 spring

Has anyone else tried the mainsprings that Chambers sell for the Mk3? I tried one and its was a lot different to the original. Wound the other way, more coils, thinner wire. It also just managed 6ft lbs! The original was much better and is now back in, needless to say. I was replacing the dodgy old washer in a newly aquired gun, and thought a new spring would be good too. Silly me!
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Hi,

I always work on the principle if it's not broken don't fix it ...It always seems to work well..

Regard's

Inproved

Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi,

I always work on the principle if it's not broken don't fix it ...It always seems to work well..

Regard's

Inproved
    An excellent point and one I am, or should be, fully aware of! I can only blame a senior moment, yer honour....

Webley MK3 Spring

I ordered a MK3 spring from Chambers about 18 months ago to fit in a MK3 I'd just bought which was doing around 8.5 to 9.5ftlb in .22. The spring in the rifle definately felt weaker than the spring in my other MK3 so time for a change.

I couldn't get the new one in, despite using all my weight I couldn't get the spring compressed enought to start the thread on the trigger block. The opposite of what you describe. Perhaps Chambers had complaints about the strenght of their springs and acted accordingly.

Left the rifle as it is, shoots very well as is, should have left well alone, as you say if it ain't broke...
    Last edited by coburn; 23-03-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    I ordered a MK3 spring from Chambers about 18 months ago to fit in a MK3 I'd just bought which was doing around 8.5 to 9.5ftlb in .22. The spring in the rifle definately felt weaker than the spring in my other MK3 so time for a change.

I couldn't get the new one in, despite using all my weight I couldn't get the spring compressed enought to start the thread on the trigger block. The opposite of what you describe. Perhaps Chambers had complaints about the strenght of their springs and acted accordingly.

Left the rifle as it is, shoots very well as is, should have left well alone, as you say if it ain't broke...
    My spring was much longer than the original, which I forgot to mention! I am a big strong lad but it took me all of my cunning and strength to get it in. I was expecting great things but what I got, after allowing time for the washer to bed in, was 6ft lbs. I put the original back in and it was immediately just over 9ft lbs! The washer is still a bit tight so that is in fact spot on. My mistake was changing both items at once, instead of just doing the washer first. That was a mess and needed replacing. Another point, after a couple of weeks in the gun, the new spring has lost a couple of inches off its uncompressed length too. Original Webley this is not, judging by the old spring!