Thread: 12.7 x 44R Osolete caliber???

12.7 x 44R Osolete caliber???

I have always wanted a Rolling Block Rifle just as a wallhanger. I have seen a Swedish rifle in the above caliber but it doesn't seem to be on the list although there are 12.7 x 45R and 12.7 x 48R. The rifle is about 1898 manufacture.

I need to get it right as if I'm going to buy it I will have to import it, so can anyone offer any guidance?

Definately section 58 so no licence required.
    I have a few and they are nice guns.
    HTH
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Definately section 58 so no licence required.
    I have a few and they are nice guns.
    HTH
    Tony
    +1

btw I have a few nice rolling blocks coming in on commission sale that I'll be taking down to the Phoenix show at the end of May. There are plenty of decent examples here in the UK, I doubt it would be cost effective to import one unless you get it for a really good price.

rolling block

I am always in the market for a nice Rolling Block
    Cheers

Rob

What should I expect to pay, the one I'm looking at will be about 350 euros including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    What should I expect to pay, the one I'm looking at will be about 350 euros including shipping.
    Condition as always is everything and I'd be careful about buying one online especially from overseas. Dont forget the dreaded import duty and handling charges plus VAT if applicable. This could easily add £100 plus onto the price.

As far as UK prices go for Scandy rolling blocks expect to pay from £250 to £300 for one in poor condition ie non shootable bore, external pitting (but okay as a wall hanger) to around £650 for a really nice example with a fine bore, decent metal work and a nice piece of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by loach369 View Post
    Condition as always is everything and I'd be careful about buying one online especially from overseas. Dont forget the dreaded import duty and handling charges plus VAT if applicable. This could easily add £100 plus onto the price.

As far as UK prices go for Scandy rolling blocks expect to pay from £250 to £300 for one in poor condition ie non shootable bore, external pitting (but okay as a wall hanger) to around £650 for a really nice example with a fine bore, decent metal work and a nice piece of wood.
    If coming from a fellow ec country I would have thought you would not have to pay any import tax.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Shows how laws vary. In the US, if it's made in 1898 or earlier, it's an unregulated antique, even if you could buy ammo for it at the local gunshop.

But if it's made in 1899 or later, it's regulated, even if the cartridge it chambers went out of production a century ago.

Your laws make more sense than ours, in that respect.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Roodles is offline Stellen sie Fragen über Fragen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Shows how laws vary. In the US, if it's made in 1898 or earlier, it's an unregulated antique, even if you could buy ammo for it at the local gunshop.

But if it's made in 1899 or later, it's regulated, even if the cartridge it chambers went out of production a century ago.

Your laws make more sense than ours, in that respect.

Jim
    Does that mean you can have a Gatling gun without licence

Quote Originally Posted by Roodles View Post
    Does that mean you can have a Gatling gun without a licence
    That's an excellent question, Roodles, and my gut-reaction answer to it would be, YES!

I didn't mention that no, not all pre-1899 stuff is exempt as an antique: fully automatic weapons (and there were a few true machine guns in that era, such as the Maxim, and the Colt "Potato Digger") are still regulated, as are rifles shorter than 26 inches or having barrels shorter than 16, or shotguns shorter than 26 or with barrels shorter than 18.

However, federal law elsewhere defines a fully automatic weapon as one that can fire two or more shots with a single pull of the trigger. It's my understanding that Gatling guns fired not by pulling a trigger, but by turning a hand crank.

Also, weren't at least some of the Gatlings muzzleloaders? Any that were would for sure be exempt, since federal law here does not regulate muzzleloaders, regardless of their date of manufacture.

I don't claim to be an expert on either the legalities or the weapons technicalities here, though, and would be interested in hearing anyone else's concurring or dissenting opinions.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I think you'll find a gattling gun is not classified as fully auto because it requires constant movement of the crank handle. In fact there is a company called Tippman Arms that manufactures 2/3 size and mini versions in .38 spl and .22lr. Here's a link to one of them. Anyone fancy spending $20k on a .38?????

http://www.midwestguns.com/gat.html

No: I believe I'll hold off on that purchase, until I win the lottery, or until a rich friend or relative gives it to me as a gift.

Then again: I don't HAVE any rich friends or relatives: and I don't buy lottery tickets.

No objections to lotteries as such, it's just that I believe that your chances of winning are about as good if you don't buy a ticket as if you do!

Jim