Thread: Airsporter mk7, pellets?

Airsporter mk7, pellets?

Hi I am now (Today)the proud owner of a mk7 carbine and currently using WASP number 2 5.6mm pellets are there any other 5.6 pellets currently available and if so are they any better not knocking the Wasps just they don't on close inspection seem to match the modern pellets consistency of manafacture.
    P.s These old airsporters have character I think thats how to describe my gun anyway...

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    I think they're the only 5.6mm pellets available. Have a Mk6......still in bits.......and have asked around and a few have suggested RWS Superdomes as an alternative/better pellet. I've ordered some but not in a position to try as yet.
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

pelets

rws for sure.

bsa pellets.

Thanks I'll look up rws superdomes.

edbear2 Guest
    There was a thread a while back about this, but I can't seem to find it......anyhow, most folk seem to highly rate RWS superdomes in older BSA's, I find they are very good myself, as are H+N ftt's in 5.54 die size (can be hard to find, but a great longer range grouping, heavier pellet).

Tins of 'proper' Eley .22 wasps do turn up on fleabay every couple of weeks, with some being still full, expect to pay £8-10 though for these as they are bought both by people who shoot them, and collectors.

I presume you are using the later "wasp" pellets with the barcode on the tin.......these are a totally different pellet to the original Eley product.

Don't buy the Bisley branded ones unless you have a mould for making fishing weights

5.6mm pellets

J Knibbs sells boxes of 5.6mm marksmen pellets especially for old BSA's

They perform well out of my Mk1 and Mk 2 Airsporters. Head size is 5.6mm, and tail diameter is of the order of 5,84mm diameter. About 1 in 20 is of poor quality, so a visual of each is recommended.

If the mainspring is a little tired, then Bisley Practise wadcutters perform well also. Tail diameters are around 5.74mm
    john
    hold me back !!

Hi,

I have used H&N Field Target Trophy 5.54's they seem to give good results ...Also Air Arms ..5.52's don't no why these last one's work well but they do ...In Mark1 and Mark2 Airsporters and in my BSA Standard's however I only shoot these no more than 10 meters.I will do some further shooting with these when the weather get's better at longer ranges....

Regard's

Inproved...

Pellets for mk7 airsporter.

Wow many thanks guys for your responses,I am inspired to try out these various pellets especially the marksman's with rws superdomes + h&n ftt too, maybe I too can hit the side of a barn (group well) I'm of the opinion the old thing shoots straight and they don't make em like that anymore!
    I had panicked and spent the last two days agonising in a fun way over a different rifle and susequently bought a mint Theben Evo, I had thought to offset the cost with the sale of the mk7 but now will find some other way to pay the rent this month!
    I'll use the wasps for plinking in the garden etc.
    What sort of group could I expect with practice at 30 yds with the old thingy(MK7 carbine)I also suspect it's more powerfull than the Evo which only does 11ftlb at the moment or so I'm told.

Hi,

You do not need power for accuracy...popular misconception...I find that Springers running below 10foot ld's are very very accurate...choice of pellet, stance and breathing and trigger control together with hold of the Air Rifle are the major thing's to master... Let the Rifle recoil,it's self ...Also .177 will shoot flatter than .22 with less resistance...

Regard's

Inproved..

Hi,

If you've been using the modern 'Bisley' made Wasps - rather that the original Eley ones, you could be in for a very pleasant surprise - the modern Bisley Wasp's are very poor.

RWS get my vote, also try to get a go with some Accupells?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi,

You do not need power for accuracy...popular misconception...I find that Springers running below 10foot ld's are very very accurate...choice of pellet, stance and breathing and trigger control together with hold of the Air Rifle are the major thing's to master... Let the Rifle recoil,it's self ...Also .177 will shoot flatter than .22 with less resistance...

Regard's

Inproved..
    Hi well I think I panicked into buying the Evo still now I have practiced and read up a bit especialy on follow through I manage to kill one clothes peg one pencil and do a three shot group in 10mm from approx 10 meters I am getting used to the gun the trigger is a bit vague compared to my old hw57 but nonetheless effective when I squeaze insted of yank.
    The old beezer at this range kneeling seems to be accurate enough it was my out of practice shooting that let the gun down I think I will keep her as now I have a good old gun and looking forward to trying out the Evo in the next few days hopefully a good new gun.
    I ordered some marksman pellets to try those against the wasps sometimes the wasps do a flyer and I don't know where it's gone,posty just came so I'm off to try out the Marksmans!
    RWS Superdomes are in my want list next time |I can visit the gun shop I'll get some they seem to be highly regarded and won a lot of competitions in the 80's.

Hi again ok tried the marsmans over my 10 mtr garden and they shot some three inches lower than the bisley Wasps even though approx 1/2 a grain lighter so I gues the flatter head is not very aerodynamic interesting enough if you've got a older BSA Airsporter, just looking forward to testing the reputedly better quality RWS Superdomes now.
    Last edited by toby007; 01-04-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Update.