Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20m LSR - too good to be true?

Looks like we have lift off, Houston.

I'll use the AirWolf in 22 cal for the "proper" rules and I'll happily do a second entry with a rifle to FT spec which will probably be an EV2 with a fixed 35 mag scope.. eek!

Let's home in on that, then. Two classes, one to traditional rules regarding rifle weight and trigger pull weight, and then an open class for anything else so long as it is 22 cal or less, and no slings or special clothing.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Yes, sounds good. Count me in.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    I'd also be interested in doing this and possibly wifey too.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

I'll need to try and get the club to get some targets organised as no one so far at Perth has shot this discipline, could someone confirm the targets to be used and the height they would have to be set at as we will have to sort the backstop as we shoot into individual catchers and angled plate behind them.

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    I'll need to try and get the club to get some targets organised as no one so far at Perth has shot this discipline, could someone confirm the targets to be used and the height they would have to be set at as we will have to sort the backstop as we shoot into individual catchers and angled plate behind them.

Iain D
    PL14s at 20 yards (you can get cheaper ones with only the inner 7 or so rings known as PL14/06) or SPA1 or PL19 at 25 metres.

I've seen targets positioned anywhere from about 1 foot off the ground to about 5 feet. Centre of target at shoulder height is good. We are flexible.

Could probably send you some targets if you reimburse my club.

Yes, here is a photo of one of our catchers during construction: http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...llettrap-1.jpg
    It's lined with 3mm steel sheet. The hardboard fronts lift out and the targets are held in place with elastic string.

The target card is a PL14/06 which is the standard 17cm square size, and the NSRA sell them for about £60 a thousand. I can post you a few to get on with if you need some.

The bull has to be 1400mm above the floor, plus or minus 200mm, and the distance is 20 yards, plus or minus (I think) 3 inches, sorry for the mixed units.

If you go here http://www.shebbearshooters.co.uk/about.html you'll see a couple of members shooting in our indoor range (aka the village hall).

This shows three catchers in place: http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...Catchers-1.jpg

Here's a schematic of a new backstop we are planning; wheeled so we can put it away in the walk-in store cupboard.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ckstop2011.jpg

I have a feeling you may be in the same competition that our club is (CNTSA?). Our understanding is that this person is disabled (possibly 2 of them?) and shoots from a wheelchair/rest. Did he aggregate 996/997 or something stupid last season.

One of our guys used to be in division one and does genuinely shoot 100s but not card after card. I think he aggregated around 990 and came 4th or 5th!

It does seem to be political correctness gone mad when a wheelchair bound shooter with a rest is allowed to shoot in a free-standing unsupported rifle competition making it virtually impossible for an able bodied person following all the rules to compete.

Benchrest sounds ideal!
    Not sent from an iPhone.

Shame there is no 22lr might have joined in. Why not use the air pistol target may be easier to get hold of and they are a lot cheaper, I know hampshire use them.

David

Quote Originally Posted by dave_samk11 View Post
    Shame there is no 22lr might have joined in. Why not use the air pistol target may be easier to get hold of and they are a lot cheaper, I know hampshire use them.

David
    Ah, but there is. Full NSRA Rules, plus a 'special' category for non complying rifles (probably trigger weight, or physical weight) as long as its not supported with a sling etc and no special clothing other than a compliant glove.

I should have put a thread up by now, but server issues and no search delayed. I'll get something up at the weekend.

If people want some PL14s I can provide at cost+P&P and pay money into my club.

Lets still aim for May 1st start.

Quote Originally Posted by barrow_matt View Post
    It does seem to be political correctness gone mad when a wheelchair bound shooter with a rest is allowed to shoot in a free-standing unsupported rifle competition making it virtually impossible for an able bodied person following all the rules to compete.

Benchrest sounds ideal!
    Yeah, a rested rifle in a standing competition seems excessive. Sitting isn't so bad - I've tried shooting from a wheelchair and I found myself to be less stable than when I'm actually standing because the position you're forced into actually precludes some of the positional features you can adopt when free-standing (even though it looks like it would be far more stable because you can supposedly only wobble from the waist up!).

For example, most standing shooters thrust their waist forward to rest their elbow on. You can't do this in a wheelchair because leaning back will almost certainly end with you leaning on part of the chair or the wheel. This forces a very vertical torso position, which is actually less balanced than in standing when you can manipulate your position to bring the centre of balance back a bit (imagine trying to shoot when stood absolutely vertical with feet together - not apart. You're swaying all over the place!).

However, if they're on a table/rest, my feeling would be that they should really only be participating in prone competitions where the use of a rest or table is not offering much more stability than being prone (or indeed less stability. My prone is better than my benchrest ).

Hard to say without seeing the exemption and knowing the exact nature of the disability.
    Under international disability rules (i.e. the Paralympics), prone is approximated by resting on a table/bench from a sat position (either with sling, or rest depending on classification), whilst standing is approximated by sitting but being otherwise unsupported, which in terms of difficulty are quite good approximations to the able-bodied versions.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation