Thread: 10m beginner - FAS 604?

10m beginner - FAS 604?

Hi - would welcome your advice. Looking to start 10m target shooting and would like to know if the Fas is reliable and up to the job. I keep reading reports of problems with seals and that it's undepowered - what's the truth?

Henners

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The FAS 604 is an ideal starter and intermediate 10 mt pistol. All pistols eventualy require seals and the FAS is no different, problems have occured when performed by bodgers and using cheap o rings, best to use the factory ones supplied by Robert Cleverly at Checkmate guns, or he will change them for you.
    The FAS is a little slow but power is not an issue, its about consistancy and a well maintained pistol is no problem.
    The trigger can be set up to be crisp, the ballance and grips are good. The older ones have non adjustable target grips, the newer ones have excelent adjustable laminated grips. I had one in the 80's and shot to national level with it, now have a new one which I use for home practice as its quieter and needs no air. A good choice.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I owed and shot one weekly for about 18 months or so...

Reliability - It was S/H when I bought it from another club member and I never any problems with the seals in my ownership and I don't believe the previous owner resealed it in his ownership either.
    Seals are readily available and its a fairly straight forward job to change them if you need to (I have a full stripdown guide if you need one as well).

Power - Yes, they are a little low powered, mine sometimes didn't produce the cleanest holes, but the shots do go where you point 'em and my scores steadily improved whilst I shot one.

However, the trigger and build quality really sell them as a S/H purchase (I think I might baulk at the price of a new one) and S/H theres nowt to touch 'em unless you spend over twice the price.
    So I'd say they are a wise choice S/H and one you won't lose money on if & when you do decide to upgrade

Hi HennersHK I recently sold and FAS604AP to eredel and I believe the same gun is now owned by Red Bob wonderful pistol nice balance and very reasonably priced, I shot in county competitions with it for 3 years and it has been resealed abut 18 months ago,as previously stated the pellet takes a wee while to arrive at the target but it is always exactly where you pointed it,I am sure if you ask Bob he will give a great report on these lovely and easy to maintain guns, the only reason mine had to go was because I also Smallbore rifle shoot and have found a liking for older air rifles so something had to give,apart from this I had great fun with the pistol and also new starters who used it for try outs found it very easy to get on with
    ATB Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Thank you

I am very grateful for your opinions - looks like the gun I need to find out if I'm any good!