Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duelling Pistols - accuracy? anybody into BP?

Duelling Pistols - accuracy? anybody into BP?

I was watching "Castle" on the TV the other evening and the two heroes were trying to shoot holes in a US Police silhouette target at about 10 or may be 20 meters with a pair of 200yr old duelling pistols.

They didn't manage to hit a single silhouette.

I always thought that the fancy duelling pistols were very accurate, Ok they muzzle loaded and fired a round ball but they were the pinnacle of the gun makers art.

So could those old pistols shoot straight?

ATB Ora

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Think it was more to do with the shooters!!
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Think it was more to do with the shooters!!
    Nah i think its more to do with the telly

There was a programme on pistols on the Military channel last week. Apparently duelling with swords went out of fashion because 1 or both oppenents were likely to get wounded or killed. With duelling pistols both were more likely to escape unscathed but the honour would have been settled as a draw.
    Anschutz 1427 .22LR Nikon Buckmaster SF 4.5-14x40, A-TEC Mod, Tikka M595 222Rem, Leupold 6.5-20x40LR, Howa 1500 APC 308Win, Nikko Diamond 6-24x50 FFP, wildcat Evolution, Sauer 202 243Win, Leupold 4.5-14x50LR, wildcat Evolution.

^^^Wot he said^^^

Additionally, you did not aim you merely turned and fired, aiming was seen to be unsporting.

They were made to point naturally like an extension of your hand and the trigger was usually very light. The pistols were matched so that both behaved and handled the same, this giving an advantage to the owner as the light trigger would be unexpected and often result in an ND in the hands of his opponent. When familiar with the pistol though they could be quite effective.

I suppose in many ways they are the forerunner to the target pistol.

Ian Hogg has some good bits about duelling pistols in some of his books, the complete handgun has a section on duelling and individual details of many pistols from the era.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Additionally, you did not aim you merely turned and fired, aiming was seen to be unsporting.
    I think that varied with time and circumstance. I think in some duels the participants fired by turns and could take time to aim if they wished.

I don't believe I've ever seen a comprehensive and definitive description of pistol duelling codes, though.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

As it has been said. It is probably the shooters.
    The muzzleloading pistol, smoothbore or rifled, is capable of good accuracy.
    The quality of the patch and lubricant is critical.
    If they have just rammed any old bit of cloth down the barrel with no lubricant, or poor lubricant, then they will not be very accurate.

I believe that duelling pistols had to be smoothbore so probably not very accurate.
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I believe that duelling pistols had to be smoothbore so probably not very accurate.
    Daz
    Even a smoothbore can be as accurate as a centrefire pistol at 25 yards.
    At the longer distances they tend to lose their accuracy.

There are some high scores achieved with smoohbore percussion and flintlock pistols.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Pistola

I use a Pedersoli Le Page duelling/target pistol and, at 20 yards it is very accurate with its set trigger.

The accuracy reveals itself usually when somebody else shoots it though.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I use a Pedersoli Le Page duelling/target pistol and, at 20 yards it is very accurate with its set trigger.

The accuracy reveals itself usually when somebody else shoots it though.
    also if someone is shooting back at you then you tend to rush it and possibly miss as expected

I just like watching Stana Kadic.

Bit skinny, but something about her.

edbear2 Guest
    Interesting read with statistics here......

Originally they would be smooth bored which was checked before the match, I have heard of hidden rifling which ended a few inches short of the muzzle so as to be undetected!

Not really cricket

John

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Accuracy wasn't high on the list of priorities and as someone has already mentioned, deliberate aiming was frowned upon and technically could see you prosecuted for murder.
    Returning soldiers who were used to performing under fire and could aquire the target more instinctively who would 'bait' less prepared 'gentlemen' was also a contributory factor in its demise...