Thread: Nickel Smith & Wesson with Custom Hardwood Grips

Nickel Smith & Wesson with Custom Hardwood Grips

Just finished fitting wood grips to my Umarex 585 / 686 Co2 Smith and Wesson.

I was shooting in the IPAS comp at the LVAGC Hertford and received quite a few compliments. It was commented that no one make them specifically for a S&W Co2 pistol and they hadn’t seen one with wooden grips before.

I bought the grips from from “Jaruwan.p” in Thailand, who identified them as K or L frame to fit a real 357. I bid and won them for I think about 25usd.
    Unfortunately they did require a lot of wood removing from the inside with a router to make them fit. I also had to make aluminium spacers to fill the remaining gap.

Anyhoo….. I though you may be interested to see my finished effort, the gun also sits better in my hand and is easier to acquire a consistent grip when quickly drawing for IPAS.

I couldn’t seem to be able to upload photos direct so here is a link to Picasa, I hope it works okay.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1098301...86WoodenGrips#

Cheers

They look great
    My name is Craig and I am addicted to multitools

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The grips look lovely and fit really nicely.
    Have you any ideas about covering the chunk of frame and CO2 piercing mechanism sticking out of the bottom?
    Would painting the uncovered bits matt black reduce visibility, or possibly a push fit rubber cover would work?
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

They look superb, I also bought some wood grips from thailand (different seller) for my hw 45. Mine didnt need any mods as it dousnt have co2 in the grip.
    Air Arms tx200 .177 mtc mamba lite 4-16x44
    Daystate platinum .177 Mtc viper 10x44
    Daystate airwolf MVT .177..Mtc mamba lite 3-12x44...meon valley airgun club.

Very nice

Great work - they look the business

For me, the standard grips are what makes the thing unsuitable for IPAS - they are just too big and thick for my child like hands.

One of the guys at the January IPAS match at East Barnet had some on his S&W that he had made from scratch. Nice and slim - they felt a damn sight better.

Its a real shame that no one makes after market alternatives that fit straight on.......
    Last edited by Ian; 04-04-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling!

Grips look good, job well done.

Out of interst what make is the Clam-shell holster you have there?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_k...110302_013.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/s/...ransparent.gifUnlik 0

I think that is stunning - beautiful job!

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all your kind comments.
    To respond to a couple of questions:
    Nick – yes the only thing that disappointed me was the piercing mech that still shows. I have a bit of red Oak that I may try to fashion in to some sort of cover to finish it off. I don’t think I’ll be painting it black to hide it and I’m not sure what I could use for a simple rubber cover, but I do need to do something.
    Ian – I was chatting to Mark H the IPAS man from Action Air Shooting and as well as having some funky lightweight aircraft aluminium barrel shroud to replace the heavy standard one ( http://iqeal.com//lvagc/viewtopic.ph...6&mforum=lvagc ), he was looking in to getting some custom wood grips manufactured for sale.
    Phil – The holster is a SCORT Gun Leather 609 with matching Scort Belt and speed loader holders. I was after the Price Western holster that many S&W users use, but this one came up and it fits and works really well.

Thanks again for your kind words

I saw one just like this for sale at The Ranges in Devizes at the weekend
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

It is a real shame that not more accessories/upgrades are available for the s&w as I would definitely get one if there were a few more options.

Also what really puts me off is that I would like a nickel one but all the mags are black making it stand out even more... I do still want one really but that does put me off.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    REALLY nice: excellent work!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone