Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK V Super Meteor - new lease of life

MK V Super Meteor - new lease of life

Picked this up yesterday afternoon and was very pleased to find the stock in great nick and all sights in place

I spent last night rubbing it down and respraying it with Valspar Plastikote Satin Black as most of the original enamel had been lost.

I have carefully reasembled the gun tonight aware that the paint wont be fully hard for another week:

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...MK5SMeteor.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...upermeteor.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...s/P1010115.jpg

Chrono'd at 8.6 ft lb now I have fitted a new breech Seal. I have not opened her up yet.

I will strip the internals next week and put in teflon spacers/washers and a new spring.

I am expecting 10 ft lb after this fettle

I'm very pleased with how she looks

Cheers
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 16-04-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

One of my favourite little guns, looks very nice. I always wanted a super meteor as a kid but never actually got round to it. Maybe one will turn up at the right time.

Everyone should have a BSA Meteor great guns i have a mark 3 super meteor shooting at 9 1/2ft lbs and very smooth and accurate.
    JJJJJJ

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Picked this up yesterday afternoon and was very please to find the stock in great nick and all sights in place

I spent last night rubbing it down and respraying it with Valspar Plastikote Satin Black as most of the original enamel had been lost.

I have carefully reasembled the gun tonight aware that the paint wont be fully hard for another week:

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...MK5SMeteor.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...upermeteor.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...s/P1010115.jpg

Chrono'd at 8.6 ft lb now I have fitted a new breech Seal. I have not opened her up yet.

I will strip the internals next week and put in teflon spacers/washers and a new spring.

I am expecting 10 ft lb after this fettle

I'm very pleased with how she looks

Cheers
    Nice job and good luck with the final fettle. Crackin' little guns!

I bought a "mint" sleeper off here recently for a pal for his young son to learn shooting. That too, after replacing the obviously perished breech seal does 8.8 ft.lbs and it's shot-shot consistency is up there with much more prestigous rifles.

A bit twangy but no doubt we will get to breathe some magic on it soon!

Keep us posted on yours please!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

This one is also the usual "twanger" but I find that once I have polished the internals and fitted teflon spring spacers each end plus a spring with mirror-polished ends the twang magically dissapears

Delrin guide and top hat is all very well but I can spend 30 quid better elsewhere

I recently purchased a MK1 which had a slightly oversized spring in it which was REALLY not a good idea in a MK 1. I might try it in this much bulkier MK V SUPER

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I always put a piston sleeve in my meteors that always helps.
    JJJJJJ

What would you recommend for a sleeve?

I have never fitted one myself to anything

Thanks for your advice
    Matty

Hi Mattyboy
    I have some thin shimming steel i cut mine from but i have used beer can's try and find a strong can, also when its fitted you need a washer in the piston for the spring to rest against.
    JJJJJJ

Should the shim cylinder be sized to the spring or sized to the inside of the piston?

Beer can in hand (empty!)

Thanks
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 16-04-2011 at 05:53 PM.

nice job,when i was a kid i liked the ''twang''gave a sence of power lol.

Cool Meteor

Just to let you know the one I am selling at the moment is in very good original condition.

Matt size to the inside of the piston, you shoud find the the spring sits in just right with very little if any sideways movment, remember to cut the end like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ to fold up so it stays in the piston,
    like the sleeve used in the hw80.
    JJJJJJ

Aha I see

So piston then sleeve then teflon spacer/washer then spring

Correct?

I'll get to it this arvo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR1 View Post
    Just to let you know the one I am selling at the moment is in very good original condition.
    Thanks Mate

I'll have a look next week

So I have stripped the internals, cleaned and polished everything (piston, spring ends, washer etc.) and put in a 7mm thick teflon washer at the front of the spring and a polished washer at the other end and fitted a new O-ring. I used the spring that came in the gun as it looks new and has full free length. All carefully relubed and reasembled.

Was shooting around 8.6 ft lb with a new breech seal fitted.

Now it's shooting around 10.6 ft lb with no hint of a twang just a satisfying thud and controlled recoil.

Shooting very accurately with H&N FTT 5.51

Very chuffed. This will now be a ratting gun for the garden.

Cheers