Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MK V Super Meteor - new lease of life

Meteor,s

What mk. did the Meteor go to full power and any idea from what year ?
    I know the latest ones were around 11ft Lbs plus .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Mk 7 which is GAMO-made item is supposed to be full power.

The MK 4, 5 and 6 are capable of close to it.

But earier MK 1,2,3 are very fragile due to delicate thin stocks and anything over 9.5 ft lb is likely to wreck them.

I might not be quite correct with the info here but I think it's about right.

Cheers
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 17-04-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thanks for the info. Mattyboy allways willing to learn .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

I have had a 74 Super Meteor in the family for the past fifteen years or so. Originally bought it from a fellow club member scoped for £40 for my youngest son who was about ten at the time. It later went on to enjoy a career as a short range hunter in Shropshire when it never failed to impress.

She was looking a bit tatty so I also did a full refurb with the action as fortunately the stock is still in stunning condition.

Fifteen years later, she is now the possession of my new partners youngest daughter and goes by the name of "Merlin" for regular plinking fun when we holiday down south.

Why do we become so attached to air rifles?

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Power update

I have just finished doing a chrono string with this reworked MK V Super Meteor using some original Webley Special Waisted pellets from the early 70s.

Average with H&N FTT 5.51 is 10.6

Average with Webley SW (5.6?) is 11.3

Accuracy is still very good with these too.

Might have to scope it now and take it rabbitting

I have never seen a Meteor from this vintage make over 11 ft lb without some awful ox spring (or similar) which makes them almost unshootable

This is quite smooth and not twangy at all

Cheers
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 03-05-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

That seems pretty damned powerful for a Meteor! Mine is doing about 8.5, but its accuracy is pretty damned good for such a basic gun, especially when the fixings have had a coat of blue Loctite!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    That seems pretty damned powerful for a Meteor! Mine is doing about 8.5, but its accuracy is pretty damned good for such a basic gun, especially when the fixings have had a coat of blue Loctite!

Andy
    It must be all the damned polishing I did to the insides and that damned teflon top hat that I fitted Andy

Well done that man. Does the gun kick a bit due to its relatively light weight and the full power?

I wouldn't say it kicks a lot.

Recoil is there but quite smooth and the polishing and teflon bits have reduced the twang to almost nothing.

Accuracy is excellent

My Mk 1 Meteors have had the same internal treatment and shoot at aroung the 9.5 mark.

I have a MK 2 with the same treatment shooting at low 10s

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see readings of 11.2 to 11.4 from this Super-M Mk V