Thread: BSA Mercury Challenger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Mercury Challenger

Hi all,

This is my first post on airgun BBs, wow what a mine of info!!

I am just getting back into air weapons after a very long break, (20+ years) I migrated to firearms and regularly shoot my Lee En field collection and my AR15.

I've just dragged out of my cupboard my old rabbiting rifle, a 1985 Challenger, a bit dusty, with a few bruises to the stock, but overall in good nick.

I can't decide whether or not to keep it and renovate, or sell it.

The last time I picked up and read a copy of Airgun world Mrs Thatcher was in number 10 and a pint cost 85p!!! So I have some catching up to do.

Any idea where to get parts, piston seal, mainspring and breach 'O' ring seal specifically?

If I decide to sell, would anyone even be interested in my old workhorse these days?

Cheers all, John.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi John, and welcome to the BBS -- particularly this here Collectors Corner section, as imo, this is the best bit of the BBS by a clear country mile . Your BSA Challenger is quite a sought after rifle, so selling it should raise you a fair few quid, maybe in the region of £200 +/- (difficult to give a spot-on valuation without photos).

If you do choose to renovate your BSA Challenger (Mercury variant), these people should have all the spares you may need: http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...cat=Challenger, but should you choose to sell, do please start a fresh thread, with a price, as per the BBS rules as in the stickies etc: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....luation-thread..

Should you wish to sell, you may place an advert in both this collectors section, and once you have accrued enough of a BBS presence (http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....sales-sections), in the main sales section, which you currently can not see, too. Further, if you do want to sell, it may be worth trying to post a set of photos of your Challenger here, via links to an external hosting site, and invite valuations to help guide you?

Hope all this helps, and once again, WELCOME to the Airgun BBS . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Challenger

Welcome to where it's all at!

Oh dear, someone who kept his! Best BSA barrel-cocker ever! In a moment of madness I gave my minty one away about 8 years ago! Worst move I ever made!!

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do - well worth keeping in my jaded opinion!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A warm welcome and what a subject to have a "first post" on !

A truly great gun !

You certainly WOULD be able to sell it if you so wished especially on here !

All the Best !

"Blackrider"
    Last edited by Blackrider; 16-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.

The Challenger

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the warm welcome, the Challenger is in .22 and like I said in its day, it was a great bunny basher.

I remember using H&N Barracuda heavy weight pellets re-sized for a good fit in the BSA.
    Anything up to 25 yds was a guaranteed clean kill.

My challenger was the last in a long line of BSA's, my first was an old late sixties Meteor(Right of passage rifle) followed by a Super Meteor, then a Mk 5 Airsporter, followed by a Airsporter S and finally the Challenger.

It was my first BSA with a 2 stage trigger and was (still is) a fantastic looking rifle.

While we are on the subject of classics, I also have an Anshultz 335 with the lock-up catch missing (flew off while shooting one day, glanced off my head and is still in low eath orbit as far as I know!) any ideas on parts for that old dinosaur chaps.

Many thanks again and great to meet you all.

Cheers John.

Quote Originally Posted by huntervixen View Post
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for the warm welcome, the Challenger is in .22 and like I said in its day, it was a great bunny basher.

I remember using H&N Barracuda heavy weight pellets re-sized for a good fit in the BSA.
    Anything up to 25 yds was a guaranteed clean kill.

My challenger was the last in a long line of BSA's, my first was an old late sixties Meteor(Right of passage rifle) followed by a Super Meteor, then a Mk 5 Airsporter, followed by a Airsporter S and finally the Challenger.

It was my first BSA with a 2 stage trigger and was (still is) a fantastic looking rifle.

While we are on the subject of classics, I also have an Anshultz 335 with the lock-up catch missing (flew off while shooting one day, glanced off my head and is still in low eath orbit as far as I know!) any ideas on parts for that old dinosaur chaps.

Many thanks again and great to meet you all.

Cheers John.
    I don't think the 335 is a dinosaur! It is well thought of by many! Parts, however, when not normal mainstream items seem to present a problem! If you can, pop the requirement in the "Wanted" section - people on here are very helpful!

Best of luck
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Don't sell it, your regret it, I've just got another one after years of trying to find another after selling my last one, so keep it if you don't need the money and just enjoy shooting it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, and welcome...

I saw a mint, unfired, boxed with all original accessories one of these a couple weeks ago in a shop in Stratford.........I was just getting out the card when i saw the 'SOLD' sign

Damn!.......