Thread: BSA Model D with BSA No 12 Peep Sight

BSA Model D with BSA No 12 Peep Sight

I have recently retired so will need to curb my addiction to BSA Improved Mod Ds. However, I did get a bit of a bonus payment on retirement, so set off to Bisley at the end of March for a final fling. I aready have five of these lovely rifles in the three main patterns, one of which I shoot regularly and quite accurately since I fitted a BSA No 8 peep sight to compensate for my failing eyesight . All my Mod Ds have straight hand stocks which I prefer for some reason and except for the one mentioned above have standard No 10 sights. The link below is to some photographs of what should be my last aquisition, namely a Standard Mod D (circa 1909) but with the BSA No 12 Peep Sight fitted which looks so much more elegant than the No 8. Also pictured is a nice little Frank Clarke all steel pop out Air Pistol circa 1930, made before pressings, which also took my fancy and was quite cheap when negotiated with Mod D. So, it will have to be one out before one in for the future. Yeah right ! Did anybody else pick up anything interesting at the March Arms Fair?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abasmaj...7626413122005/

Very nice indeed. I have a couple of pre-war BSA's and would like to fit one of the BSA aperture variants sometime to one of them. I've not been to a Bisley arms fair yet, is it a good venue to pick up such "accoutrements"?
    Happy shooting
    Torrens

What a great find - especially with the peep sight !
    Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Talking

SO it was you who bought it, because I was looking at the same one to buy, but got into conversation with my oppo. about another item and when I went to get it I was old by the dealer he had just sold it. I was kicking my self all the way home, but it looks like it's gone to a good home, well done.

Arms Fairs

Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    Very nice indeed. I have a couple of pre-war BSA's and would like to fit one of the BSA aperture variants sometime to one of them. I've not been to a Bisley arms fair yet, is it a good venue to pick up such "accoutrements"?
    Happy shooting
    Torrens
    Hi torrens,

I can't say Bisley Arms Fairs are the best place to pick up accessories for vintage air guns but the odd item does turn up. The most common contempory BSA peepsight for fitting to the older BSAs is the No 8 which do appear occasionally at fairs. These can be easily fitted to the straight hand stock pre WW1 air rfles but are much harder to fit to the pistol grip stock versions. Better to buy a rifle with the sight already fitted, especially the neat little No 12 sight.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian, sounds like a good excuse to buy myself another pre-war Beesa.....

Torrens

Cracking rifle - well done. There are very few "genuine" factory fitted No8 sighted examples around, as the sight can be sourced seperately and then fitted to an Improved Model D. The No12 was specifically designed for the BSA Air Rifle and I agree, is a lovely looking item. Some can wear as the elevation is a friction fit and there is no windage adjustment available, so the No 21a is probably the more practical unit. However, the no12 does it for me! I came away with a cased Greener, so more than happy with the last Bisley fair.

Kind regards,
    John

Hi,

Nice find... The stock thing on Improved Model D is Strange, at the moment I have not found a Straight Stock..I have 3 Improved Mod D's 2 from 1908 one fitted with a number 8 sight. A 1911, a Seventh batch Lincoln again from 1908,this rifle has quite a few Model D attributes..A Second Batch BSA AIR RIFLE,lastly an Improved Model B,,then followed by a lot of Standard's in various forms...

Regard's

Inproved...