Thread: What makes a scope a WA (Wide Angle) scope?

Question What makes a scope a WA (Wide Angle) scope?

I was looking through a Norconia 4x32 WA this afternoon and was surprised by the extent of the FoV (Field of View).

I compared it against my Tasco 2.5-10x42 Varmint at 4x and was amazed and disappointed to see the difference. It was almost 'tunnel like' when compared to the Norconia.

Grateful if some of you could throw some light on this question.

Incidentally, has anyone used this particular Norconia scope over an extended period of time without problems? If it's reliable, I would like to use it on my rimfire and keep the Tasco for a recoiling sringer.

Thanks.

Rustam

I've noticed the same and my theory is it has something to do with the different glass range (IE - Tasco 2.5-10, whereas the other is a fixed mag)

I'm no genious - believe it or not so Im probably wrong.

I'm sure theres people on here that'll tell you the correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by gaz gun man
    ....whereas the other is a fixed mag.
    I did have a variable magnification Simmons Deerfield Gold 4-12x40 WA PA and an ongoing search on the net shows that there are quite a few variable mag scopes that are are supposed to be WA. So, that's not it, I'm afraid.

Thanks all the same.

Rustam

Still interested in an answer.

Gary C Guest
    What makes a scope a WA (Wide Angle) scope?

The main thing to understand about a wide angle scope is that it has a very wide angle of view.

Glad to help

Why Dangle at all?

Sorry

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    In terms of the designation, it's just marketing boll0x !

In actuall terms, I'm sure there are various factors involved, including glass dimensions / diameters / angles, length, magnification, internal apeture, etc.

Also, how do you knwo the varis was at the same magnification as the fixed ? Just cos they both say 4x....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam Bana
    Incidentally, has anyone used this particular Norconia scope over an extended period of time without problems? If it's reliable, I would like to use it on my rimfire and keep the Tasco for a recoiling sringer.

Thanks.

Rustam
    I had a 4x40 on my Airsporter for over 11yrs with no problems at all. IIRC it cost me £40 from Framar in 1991 and was a great scope till I traded it in a couple of years ago.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

years ago my bro had a webley tracker which came with a 4x32 wide angle, the sort with the `panoramic` view, after looking through that my tasco(3-9x40) seemed tunnel like to!
    ENGLISHMAN

I have a Webley 4-12x50 Platinum WA and a Nikko Sterling 3-9x40 Platinum WA.
    Both by the same manufacturer and both offer lovely wide fields of view.I replaced my Varmint 6-24x42 with the Webley. Like others say. I now longer am looking down a narrow tunnel.
    Blow the Mildots ! A fashion item. I would rather have fast target acquisition and a clear field of periphiral vision.
    The wide angle feature is mainly formed by the larger angle of view in the eyepiece I believe.
    Well worth having and not a gimmic as 'TV View' was .
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Andy.I Guest
    If a scope really is Wide Angle then, when compared to a scope that is not Wide Angle, then you will see a see more -- as simple as that. Compare two tubes of similar length, one greater diameter than the other. You'll see a wider field of view through the 5mm tube without lenses. Further, a shorter tube will give you a wider field of view.

When you put lenses in the tubes to gather more light and magnify the image, things get more complex, but the principles are still similar. In practice, due to physical constraints (size, weight and physics) there are limits to how much you can actually increase the FOV for similar sizes and magnifications. A Wide FOW requires better quality lenses.

Thanks for the replies, including the silly one's.

Also asked Sid and he says it is due to the Barlow lenses required for magnification and the long focal length of the objective lens. Hope I got it right.

Rustam

RAGS Guest
    If you check Binocular spec sheets, you might read stuff like 'field of view 200 yards at 1000 yards' for example.

This essentially means that with this binocs, if you view a subject that's 1000 yards away, you are actually seeing a field of view that's 200 yards across, in a perpendicular perspective.

Lets say if the 200 yard spec is mentioned as 300 yards in a different binocs, then it is 'wider' angled than the 200 yard job..

Which is probably why you get tunnel vision or a narrower field of view with high magnification scopes and a wider view with, er, a wide angle scope

This should help somewhat