Thread: starting point .243

starting point .243

im debating whether or not to reload my .243 a tikka t3 lite

what loads do others use in these rifles so i have a starting point? 55 or 70 gr heads i was thinking of
    Rhys
    Sako Finnfire .22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Trefil Hunter View Post
    im debating whether or not to reload my .243 a tikka t3 lite

what loads do others use in these rifles so i have a starting point? 55 or 70 gr heads i was thinking of
    get yourself a tub of Vit 160 and 68 to 75 gr bullets,dont bother with anthing lighter,as to which bullet on a personal note I would use Berger the 68gr match or varmint do the job superb but I have just tried some 69 gr High BC which were excellent,you could try Nosler but there expensive,Vmax have gone down hill in my opinion and I dont like Sierra blizkings due to the seating die making a mark on the bullet.
    as to powder charge anything around 48gr will do the job and then work from there
    I was fireforming Saturday to AI using a 74gr pill and 48gr of 160 and getting 3665 FPS
    any more you need to know just ask
    by the way DONT BUY LEE DIES,
    ask Gran on here what there like he was with me saturday testing his 243 again with Vit 160

my load is H380 powder (45 grains) with 70 grain Nosler BT's (OAL 2.690) . As noted Nos' are slightly expensive but its pennies per shot and with the accuracy i achieve with this combination i cant sacrifice that (he says....... )
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Quote Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
    get yourself a tub of Vit 160 and 68 to 75 gr bullets,dont bother with anthing lighter,as to which bullet on a personal note I would use Berger the 68gr match or varmint do the job superb but I have just tried some 69 gr High BC which were excellent,you could try Nosler but there expensive,Vmax have gone down hill in my opinion and I dont like Sierra blizkings due to the seating die making a mark on the bullet.
    as to powder charge anything around 48gr will do the job and then work from there
    I was fireforming Saturday to AI using a 74gr pill and 48gr of 160 and getting 3665 FPS
    any more you need to know just ask
    by the way DONT BUY LEE DIES,
    ask Gran on here what there like he was with me saturday testing his 243 again with Vit 160
    I will try this as a starting point on my sako 75 it has just been rebarreled as 243 with a 1 in 9 twist i wanted to use 70 to 90 grain heads but will start with the 68s and check results.
    "Age is no better, hardly so well, qualified for an instructor as youth, for it has not profited so much as it has lost. One may almost doubt if the wisest man has learned anything of absolute value by living."