Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Centenary???

BSA Centenary???

How much would i have to pay for a complete mint boxed one?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Would depend who was selling and what condition its in but if you mean the complete "BSA Centenary Package" with gun,scope,mounts,case etc. and all the "bag o mashings" in tip-top nick, then you could be looking at £600 -£700 ! Maybe a tads more !

I'm semi looking myself and thats what I'm expecting to pay for the right outfit.

"B'rider"
    “An airgun or two”………

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Depends if you are talking about dealers or private sale prices.

These sought after rifles are an 'investment' and sell for probably more than their worth, after all, they are little better than an 'S' type.
    They are more likely to be bought by collectors than shooters!
    Dealers will look for top dollar, expect to pay £700+.
    Private sale, a little less, it depends on how much the seller wants/needs to sell and how much the buyer is willing to pay!
    I personally wouldn't pay more than £500 for a mint boxed one with certificate etc, there are people out there, even in these cash strapped times, that have more money than sense.
    I am not a collector or expert so may be wrong about this, just my views! I love Airsporters!

atb
    Airsporterman

Would depend who was selling and what condition its in but if you mean the complete "BSA Centenary Package" with gun,scope,mounts,case etc. and all the "bag o mashings" in tip-top nick, then you could be looking at £600 -£700 ! Maybe a tads more !

I'm semi looking myself and thats what I'm expecting to pay for the right outfit.

"B'rider"
    “An airgun or two”………

To me it would also depend if it was .22 or the rarer .177 calibre. .22's are hard to come by - try finding a .177. I would imagine the boxes are starting to degrade by now and the handles on the gun bag are a little suspect after time. I am sorry but I do not agree that they are little better than an S type. Put 2 side by side and compare - first set of pics are an Airsporter S and a Mercury S, second set are the Centenary http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/kenarcher69/
    Last edited by ken69; 25-04-2011 at 06:19 PM.

I've seen two outfits in .22 for sale over the last year. Asking price was £650 each and both from dealers. At least one of them sold. Admittedly the second wasn't on general sale but showed to me when I enquired about old BSAs.

I have an excellent .177 with all the accessories and last time I looked, the case handles had not deteriorated in any way. Has to be worth £700+ IMHO as only 1 in 5 were made in .177.

Kind regards,
    John

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Depends if you are talking about dealers or private sale prices.

These sought after rifles are an 'investment' and sell for probably more than their worth, after all, they are little better than an 'S' type.
    They are more likely to be bought by collectors than shooters!
    Dealers will look for top dollar, expect to pay £700+.
    Private sale, a little less, it depends on how much the seller wants/needs to sell and how much the buyer is willing to pay!
    I personally wouldn't pay more than £500 for a mint boxed one with certificate etc, there are people out there, even in these cash strapped times, that have more money than sense.
    I am not a collector or expert so may be wrong about this, just my views! I love Airsporters!

atb
    Airsporterman

I think that as there was only 1000 made/sold, the prices will stay high

I turned a full set minus the actual box for £385 a couple of years ago, the chap ended up selling it well over £500 from memory

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    I am sorry but I do not agree that they are little better than an S type.
    Essentially, a Centenary has the same 'action' as an 'S' it also has a Walnut stock the same as an 'S', just slightly longer.
    The centenary has the script on the air cylinder, a bag, a scope etc but essentially is no better than an 'S' (just my opinion)
    It is a far more desireable rifle due to the stutzen style and rarity (again just my opinion)
    but will be little if no different to shoot!

ASM

There are a good few that are mint in box because people bought them to keep that way... as an investment. They were very expensive to start to the point they didn't sell well and were just a dressed up "S". However they are the prettiest Airsporter of all time. Due to their expense few people actually shot them. But there were only 1000 made.

People ask for £750 but they have sold for as little as £450 mint. I wouldn't part with my .177 for less than £700 because its so nice. Some collectors have three or four because they picked them up cheap but they're not going to let them go without a fight.

So, they are available and the market is reluctant to buy for more than £500. They are worth more to any owner. As a rifle goes then they are worth a tad more, say 25%, than an Airsporter S.

Lastly the plastic handles on the rifle cases disintegrate on their own and in no way affects the price. If you find one that isn't broken then give it another year and it will be even never leaving the box. Just the way it is. A keeper should have everything in the box, and the list is long..never touched.

Totally agree with everything that Muskett says, I would dearly love to own one but it would likely be one that I wasn't afraid to get out and shoot with.
    I would go one further and state that the Centenary is the best looking air rifle I have ever seen but that's just my opinion as I am an Airsporter nut, I only have Airsporters now, they are my love especially my MK1 and MK2 and my S carbine, the latter of which would be impossible to value because I would never be prepared to sell it!
    Yes I agree with Muscett again, he is totally right, some rifles are worth a lot more to their owner!

One thing that a prospective owner should consider, Having paid that £700+ for the 'mint' and unused Centenary, bear in mind, the lubricants used in it's construction all those years ago (25+) will have deteriorated the piston washer etc, at the least, you will record very low power on a chrono, the rifle will probably need a full strip, clean up of all old lubricants and a relube and rebuild.
    Who would you entrust that to? I would only trust myself to do it, some would have the additional cost of returning it to the BSA factory or a gunshop etc!

Airsporterman.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I've seen two outfits in .22 for sale over the last year. Asking price was £650 each and both from dealers. At least one of them sold. Admittedly the second wasn't on general sale but showed to me when I enquired about old BSAs.

I have an excellent .177 with all the accessories and last time I looked, the case handles had not deteriorated in any way. Has to be worth £700+ IMHO as only 1 in 5 were made in .177.

Kind regards,
    John
    So only 200 were made in .177 ! Didnt know that.

Thanx John.

"B'rider"
    “An airgun or two”………

Taking into account the ones that will have been sold for export, along with the used and abused ones, I wonder how many .177 are remaining in the UK

Its one of the Holy Grail sort of guns to me, I want one but somehow I prefer to leave it as this unattainable goal which holds its mystery !
    And once obtained, what are you going to do with it, use it ?...Nah ! Many are locked away and brought out for an occasional airing and polish.

I've shot a couple and performance wise to me, they're no different to any good Airsporter, gorgeous to look at though !

So I dunno, "yer pays yer money" and all that !

Personnelly, I'd rather have a Whiscombe.

"Blackrider"
    “An airgun or two”………

ken69

Taking into account the ones that will have been sold for export, along with the used and abused ones, I wonder how many .177 are remaining in the UK

Very difficult to say as some may even have returned to the UK, rare as the proverbial Hens teeth anyway!
    I would be happy to acquire a 'used' one requiring a refurb, which I would do myself and get enjoyment from doing as well as the satisfaction that I had returned an unloved one back to it's former 'glory' but I wasn't worried about using it as it was intended!
    One thing is for sure, if I got one, I would never part with it!

Airsporterman