Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BSA Centenary???

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    Hi, never posted any where before, but I recognised the serial number on my Centenial 177 rifle and yes, I wouldn`t mind reuniting the certificate with the rifle.
    I bought it about five years ago at a Wallis & Wallis auction and after fees and tax etc I think I paid about £230 , this seemed to cause a bit of a jaw drop for some they thought I paid way too much! I dont regret it. Regards Tim
    Welcome to the Forum, Tim.
    Good to see the certificate possibly being reunited with the rifle.
    Personally, I think you got a bargain for £230.

Re certificate found it!

Hi Tim
    I 've just dug out the certificate and the exploded diagram / care and maitenance leaflet. Drop me your address and I'll drop it into the post to you.
    All the best
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by spikedueller View Post
    Hi Tim
    I 've just dug out the certificate and the exploded diagram / care and maitenance leaflet. Drop me your address and I'll drop it into the post to you.
    All the best
    Mike
    Thanks Mike please check your P.M. Kind regards Tim

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    That's exactly what I paid for mine, new in 1983, from Guns & Ammo, 55 The Wicker, Sheffield. At the time I remember my dad saying "what's tha want to spend that kind o' money on a bloody airgun for?"
    I've still got the "full bag o' mashings" (not heard that for a long while), but the rear sight screw has sheared in it's hole and I can't get it out.
    Flippin'eckyfump!!!

I remember that shop, it was painted white at first and was on the left hand side as you went towards Ladies Bridge

I aint heard the full bag (or can!) of mashings in ages either

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Flippin'eckyfump!!!

I remember that shop, it was painted white at first and was on the left hand side as you went towards Ladies Bridge

I aint heard the full bag (or can!) of mashings in ages either

John
    So do I John, I also remember George Wood based in Suggs Sports Shop on The Moor ! I think "Harry" has already mentioned this shop on another post or maybe it was somewhere in this one ?

And as for "Bag of Mashings" ..well I still use it from time to time !

Cheers !

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    So do I John, I also remember George Wood based in Suggs Sports Shop on The Moor ! I think "Harry" has already mentioned this shop on another post or maybe it was somewhere in this one ?

And as for "Bag of Mashings" ..well I still use it from time to time !

Cheers !

John.
    Suggs Sports. Even as a nipper I would have rather spent 5 minutes in their gun department than any length of time in Redgates (huge toy shop) just a bit further down the Moor.
    Are any of the shops I remember still there, i.e., Suggs, Redgates and Beaties model shop? I've not been in Sheffield city centre for about 20 years now.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Suggs Sports. Even as a nipper I would have rather spent 5 minutes in their gun department than any length of time in Redgates (huge toy shop) just a bit further down the Moor.
    Are any of the shops I remember still there, i.e., Suggs, Redgates and Beaties model shop? I've not been in Sheffield city centre for about 20 years now.
    All gone sadly ! Even Bennetts, just recently closed on Stanley Street off the Wicker !
    And Arthur Turner who eventually moved up Kelvin way. Although I think "they have re-established" as the Northern Airgun Centre based at Burncross.

If we're talking Fishing, then Dawsons Tackle shop is still operating on Holme Lane, Hillsborough close to me. And there are still one or two small tackle shops in business arond the City.

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

.177 considering sale price

Hi guys.. interesting to read this thread....wonder if you could possibly advise?

My other half bought a .177 Centenary when he was 14 and until Monday it's been his only air rifle.... used regularly, and brought home a good few bunnies for the pot.
    This week we were off doing a bunny shoot and he decided it was time to move onto a .22 for that extra clout.
    Considered doing a trade in... tested at 8.50 on the chrono in the local gunshop..and was offered a ridiculously low price... he wasnt the manager so couldnt give an informed price or offer more, but was impressed by the condition... searching around now, we're glad he didnt take it.

Anyhow, though he loves the rifle,which is a truly beautiful thing, he wants to sell it now, since he only needs one working rifle and is not a collector...

So, any suggestions on what we put it up for sale for? (and you lot have first dibs if any of you are interested!).... got the bag (handles intact!), certificate (number 136), scope, sling etc... all in good working order though may require that strip down to bring it back to full power. Obviously the box was discarded years ago alongside 'the mashings' you mention....

Happy to send photos to anyone who wants to take a closer look.

Makes me smile now, that I got to shoot a rifle for the first time this week ...and it appears it was on a rather special and rare beast!!!

As it's been well used, good photographs are essential to determine it's value.

Get some photographs up if you sell. I suspect you can be fairly confident to get £300 for a nicely used one with some of its extras. Even well used £250 and rough £200. Hardly marked then tops £380. Condition is everything.

Mint ones do go for high prices, and the .177 even more, but that is because they are mint in their box with everything. I said before that they should be 25% more than an Airsporter S when used, and the most an S used goes for is £200, and well used £150. With the extras you get a tad more over the 25% premium. There is a limit as anything over £300 and there is a lot of competition from other second hand rifles which including pcp's. Definitely a collectors rifle which will sell at a premium so long as it is priced correctly.

Just seen the 150 year R10 in its big case with scope sling and hunting knife.
    £1500 - crystal ball anyone?
    Or just buy it because it is a nice bit of kit to have and use?--Carefully!

centinetary

Very interested please post pictures or send them to me many thanks

I have a .22 one never been fired still in original box with all accessories and bag with handles in tact all unused would like one that's not mint to use

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the delay in replying...been rushed off my feet last few weeks.

I've taken a few photos... you can take a look here

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v504/hamadruas/BSA/

Cheers
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Its one of the Holy Grail sort of guns to me, I want one but somehow I prefer to leave it as this unattainable goal which holds its mystery !
    And once obtained, what are you going to do with it, use it ?...Nah ! Many are locked away and brought out for an occasional airing and polish.

I've shot a couple and performance wise to me, they're no different to any good Airsporter, gorgeous to look at though !

So I dunno, "yer pays yer money" and all that !

Personnelly, I'd rather have a Whiscombe.

"Blackrider"
    Personally id rather a kt87 SR in koybashi english walnut stock but im not gonna get one am i?