Thread: Split End Grain

Angry Split End Grain

I left one of my stocks in a warm dry place for too long .And the end grain as opend up on the fore end quite a bit(2mm in all).
    As any body got any ideas on how I can fix this.
    I have just got the action and barrel back form Manchester Air Guns and they are spot on and now the stock is fubar.

Cheers Andy

if it was me i would do one of two things either fill it with a two pack wood filler
    and match in with a stain or glue it with some Cascamite glue and clamp it together
    using sash clamps untill dry
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

Biggest problem is the stock is now to big.

the moisture in the stock having dried out has caused your problem, it is not a simple process to reconstitute the wood and may not be possible to fully rectify,but you could try thinning down some boiled linseed oil with turpentine and gently warming by sitting the container in a bowl of warm water and applying to the stock frequently while still warm and keep your fingers crossed. if your lucky the wood will take up the sollution and with even more luck may swell and close up your splits. I have had some success with this process just keep everything crossed

Cheers

Damp

I had an 'as new' old stock that had been in an attic for years - tried to fit it to a spare action I had ...and would not match up at all . It was so dry it had actually shrunk .

Decided to leave it in the basement overnight ...very very damp .
    Forgot about it the next day and when I did finally remember about it ...it fitted perfectly . Damp had been absorbed into the grain and the inlet had swollen a little -fitted like a glove .

Mind , th shiny blued steel swivel eyes had gone a strange shade of bright rust - strange that ....
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "