I recently sent off my pro sport to Castleford Chrome Platers for chrome plating. I went in and asked them if they would do it, showed them the parts (main cylinder and barrel, trigger guard, and trigger housing block). The guy said yes, no problems. I asked if the barrel would need removing from the cylinder he said no problem, as the chrome only "sticks" to bits that aren't polished. Ok I said, but what about the barrel, I don't want anything down there. He said no problem, we'l plug it up.

Got it back flast friday morning, looked really nice (externally). He said wash it out with warm soapy water and dry it and it'l be fine. I did as he said, but the stuff inside the cylinder wouldn't come off. After re-assembling the rifle, it was really rough to cock and when fired dark brown water/rusty solution came out the other end. Obviously the barrel hadn't been plugged and the inside of the cylinder was really rough. Tried polishing it up but to no avail.

How do I stand legally? Is the guy liable to damages etc. because he didn't plug it up? Advice from legal ealges would be greatly appreciated.

Now for advice from the more mechanically minded. I tried to remove the barrel from the cylinder, and after some effort I succeeded. But, in the process I have deformed the cylinder (the part near the loading port. Is this fixable? i.e. could it be pressed/bashed/beaten back into shape, like car body panels? Or would a new cylinder be neccesary?

Secondly, how is the barrel shroud removed from the barrel on a pro sport? I first thought it was locktited but after heating it (and melting the plastic end bit inthe process because I didn't think) it didn't budge. Will the barrel insides be ok?(unaffected by the chromiong procedure e.g. acid pickling etc.) Or will I need a new barrel as well? And same for the baffles, will they be ok?

Not had a very good weekend at all

Your advice,opinions,sympathy appreciated as usual gents.