Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best course of action?

LouisCorney Guest

Arrow Best course of action?

I recently sent off my pro sport to Castleford Chrome Platers for chrome plating. I went in and asked them if they would do it, showed them the parts (main cylinder and barrel, trigger guard, and trigger housing block). The guy said yes, no problems. I asked if the barrel would need removing from the cylinder he said no problem, as the chrome only "sticks" to bits that aren't polished. Ok I said, but what about the barrel, I don't want anything down there. He said no problem, we'l plug it up.

Got it back flast friday morning, looked really nice (externally). He said wash it out with warm soapy water and dry it and it'l be fine. I did as he said, but the stuff inside the cylinder wouldn't come off. After re-assembling the rifle, it was really rough to cock and when fired dark brown water/rusty solution came out the other end. Obviously the barrel hadn't been plugged and the inside of the cylinder was really rough. Tried polishing it up but to no avail.

How do I stand legally? Is the guy liable to damages etc. because he didn't plug it up? Advice from legal ealges would be greatly appreciated.

Now for advice from the more mechanically minded. I tried to remove the barrel from the cylinder, and after some effort I succeeded. But, in the process I have deformed the cylinder (the part near the loading port. Is this fixable? i.e. could it be pressed/bashed/beaten back into shape, like car body panels? Or would a new cylinder be neccesary?

Secondly, how is the barrel shroud removed from the barrel on a pro sport? I first thought it was locktited but after heating it (and melting the plastic end bit inthe process because I didn't think) it didn't budge. Will the barrel insides be ok?(unaffected by the chromiong procedure e.g. acid pickling etc.) Or will I need a new barrel as well? And same for the baffles, will they be ok?

Not had a very good weekend at all

Your advice,opinions,sympathy appreciated as usual gents.

Dave. Guest
    Sounds like it's well and truely knackered to me, I'd complain and see what they say.

Northernspark Guest
    Yup, sounds like a bin job

Get complaining fella, if you don't get no joy it might be small claims jobby

Steve

Jeez the chromers a prat by the sound of it

What do you mean by "deformed" the cylinder? It would be very difficult to deform it where the barrel enters it

The barrel sounds a write off, but they are actually quite a reasonable price

Baz

loiner1965 Guest
    like everything in life....did you get it in writing what he told you......if verbal then you cannot prove it,,,,,sounds like its still has acid in all the parts as well...

LouisCorney Guest
    No, I didn't get it in writing, does that mean I don't have a leg to stand on legally?

I found out after I'd taken that the certain chrome platers I'd taken it to didn't have a very good reputation.

Barrels seem quite cheap, I've looked on the chambers website. Any idea if the price includes the shroud etc. or just the barrel itself? And they don't list the cylinder price, is that because they don't make them? Or should I be talking to air arms to source one of those? I'l post a pic showing the extent of the damage.

LouisCorney Guest

It will probably be cheaper to buy a new gun mate, out of interest how did you do that damage

Baz

John Henry 1 Guest
    Looks like a good gun has been well and truly knackered. Really should have gone back with it before putting the wrecking bar to it. Usually it is best to give written instructions of work to be done and receive confirmation from them. Too late now but worth bearing in mind for the future. Might be worth putting a thread in wanted for a replacement action if yours can't be salvaged. ATB

LouisCorney Guest
    Trying to get the barrel off Baz. I know you said it was on tight, but....

What a wonderful thing hindsight is

Seriously, has it gone beyond the point of no return?

Gary C Guest
    You don't need it in writing.

Common sense indicates a barrel should be plugged, and if they didn't know they shouldn't have taken the job on. They have a duty of care and have been clearly negligent

Born Again Guest
    I think the best thing to do would be to give the shop an opportunity to put it right by removing the offending chrome (or whatever is inside the barrel), if they accept the part and give you a receipt you may be able to use it later to prove that they accepted responsibility, in a small claims court every scrap of paper can help so try to get an apology or similar in writing.

I tend to agree with Gary on this one. You took the gun to them in good faith as a "non-proffesional" therefore you placed the item in their hands expecting them to do the job correctly and having been assured they would only plate the areas asked for.

If they gave you a contract or liability waiver which states they can not be held responsible if the job failed then it might be a bit harder to prove but it sounds like a clear case of proffesional misconduct to me.

If I was approached with a similar complaint I think I'd pay up and look big.

Good luck mate.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

John Henry 1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter
    I tend to agree with Gary on this one. You took the gun to them in good faith as a "non-proffesional" therefore you placed the item in their hands expecting them to do the job correctly and having been assured they would only plate the areas asked for.

If they gave you a contract or liability waiver which states they can not be held responsible if the job failed then it might be a bit harder to prove but it sounds like a clear case of proffesional misconduct to me.

If I was approached with a similar complaint I think I'd pay up and look big.
    Good luck mate.
    Bob
    Morally your right Bob, as is Gary, IMO but they would probably argue that they are platers are not gunsmiths and should have been given specific instructions, but all instructions to them and 'contracts' have been verbal, and Courts,and lawyers seem to like everthing in writing.

LouisCorney Guest
    Thanks guys. Could I really sue them? I suppose I would take them to a small claims court? Would they be liable for just the parts or a whole gun? (assuming the parts mentioned are available as spares) What do you think the likelihood of success would be, as I don't really fancy losing and having to pay fees etc.