Thread: Best course of action?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LouisCorney Guest

Arrow Best course of action?

I recently sent off my pro sport to Castleford Chrome Platers for chrome plating. I went in and asked them if they would do it, showed them the parts (main cylinder and barrel, trigger guard, and trigger housing block). The guy said yes, no problems. I asked if the barrel would need removing from the cylinder he said no problem, as the chrome only "sticks" to bits that aren't polished. Ok I said, but what about the barrel, I don't want anything down there. He said no problem, we'l plug it up.

Got it back flast friday morning, looked really nice (externally). He said wash it out with warm soapy water and dry it and it'l be fine. I did as he said, but the stuff inside the cylinder wouldn't come off. After re-assembling the rifle, it was really rough to cock and when fired dark brown water/rusty solution came out the other end. Obviously the barrel hadn't been plugged and the inside of the cylinder was really rough. Tried polishing it up but to no avail.

How do I stand legally? Is the guy liable to damages etc. because he didn't plug it up? Advice from legal ealges would be greatly appreciated.

Now for advice from the more mechanically minded. I tried to remove the barrel from the cylinder, and after some effort I succeeded. But, in the process I have deformed the cylinder (the part near the loading port. Is this fixable? i.e. could it be pressed/bashed/beaten back into shape, like car body panels? Or would a new cylinder be neccesary?

Secondly, how is the barrel shroud removed from the barrel on a pro sport? I first thought it was locktited but after heating it (and melting the plastic end bit inthe process because I didn't think) it didn't budge. Will the barrel insides be ok?(unaffected by the chromiong procedure e.g. acid pickling etc.) Or will I need a new barrel as well? And same for the baffles, will they be ok?

Not had a very good weekend at all

Your advice,opinions,sympathy appreciated as usual gents.

Dave. Guest
    Sounds like it's well and truely knackered to me, I'd complain and see what they say.

Northernspark Guest
    Yup, sounds like a bin job

Get complaining fella, if you don't get no joy it might be small claims jobby

Steve

Jeez the chromers a prat by the sound of it

What do you mean by "deformed" the cylinder? It would be very difficult to deform it where the barrel enters it

The barrel sounds a write off, but they are actually quite a reasonable price

Baz

loiner1965 Guest
    like everything in life....did you get it in writing what he told you......if verbal then you cannot prove it,,,,,sounds like its still has acid in all the parts as well...

LouisCorney Guest
    No, I didn't get it in writing, does that mean I don't have a leg to stand on legally?

I found out after I'd taken that the certain chrome platers I'd taken it to didn't have a very good reputation.

Barrels seem quite cheap, I've looked on the chambers website. Any idea if the price includes the shroud etc. or just the barrel itself? And they don't list the cylinder price, is that because they don't make them? Or should I be talking to air arms to source one of those? I'l post a pic showing the extent of the damage.