Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best course of action?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Tell them you want £350 for a new gun as they have wrecked this one, or you'll take 'em to court... see what they say...

Sorry mate, don't understand how you bent it though ???
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

LouisCorney Guest
    Trying to get the barrel out Jon Do you think the bent cylinder will hinder the likelihood of success?

I don't think it will help a great deal Louis. I reckon the gun looks beyond any life saving operation. Mount it on the wall as a reminder of what not to do and have a look round for a new gun. Just remember: shiney does not = accurate gun. If you want to snazz it up a bit later, how about having the action/stock dipped at hydrographics?

loiner1965 Guest
    looks horrific mate,,,,,,,sad to see that on a beautiful rifle

Darren Petts Guest
    I had a peek down the barrel today. Never seen such a rough barrel in my life and that includes guns hauled out of canals! There's an outside possibility that the barrel will respond to a severe bronze brushing but far more likely is a new barrel. Due to the chances of success unless I had access to a bronze brush I wouldn't waste money buying one though and would go straight for the new barrel. The cylinders a complete right-off cosmetically. It may work again if hammered straight but will never look the part.
    Seeing as the cylinder is a self inflicted wound there's only the barrel you could claim for from the platers. The small claims court is £75 a pop I think these days which is added to the cost of the claim. Frankly I wouldn't bother with the effort of litigation but I'd certainly approach them, make a complaint and ask for the cost of a new barrel.

LouisCorney Guest
    I think that's what I'm going to do Darren, though I'l ask him if he'l strip all the chrome from the cylinder as well (would this be the best way to get the cylinder back to the bare metal for re-blueing?) . My mind has been working overtime tonight (slow night at work) and I think I may have a solution. Would it be possible to use a milling machine to cut out the bent section? Because that part is effectively hidden by the stock, so even if I bent it back into place it wouldn't be too noticeable.

Don't suppose there's a gunsmith out there who fancies a challenge? I agree, it's a shame to see such a nice rifle like this

agree that you dont need it in writing. They are the experts and it is reasonable for you to expect them to carry out the work in a professional manner.

Notify them that the barrel was not plugged as requested and expected and that the rifle has been damaged as a result of their negligence.

Take it to a gunsmith to assess and to confirm if the rifle can be economically repaired and if so how much it will cost.

Also, if it cant be repaired, get the cost to replace new - then haggle.

If they wont play ball, speak to citizens advice or to your home contents insurer as they will often give free legal advice as part of their standard policy. Your broker may have sold you legal expenses insurance whereby they may even take the case up for you on your behalf.

Small claims court will probably be the way to go thou' - assuming they have funds, are insured etc..

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

If there is no other cylinder damage jpg617, it looks relatively easy to squeeze and bend back in to near perfect shape.
    To my knowledge i have never come across or heard of a platers, metal finishers, anodisers, etc that have the facility to plug and or block up the desired areas, the supplier usually does this as he knows what areas are not to be treated.
    Try it on as mentioned above, but worst case have it stripped and your money back.
    Best of luck.

All Platers are the same when the job is scrapped because of a failure on there part, you get 2 times the value of the work they charged you for.Did you get a VAT reciept, the terms and conditions are on the back in the small print........
    Ben

LouisCorney Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy
    All Platers are the same when the job is scrapped because of a failure on there part, you get 2 times the value of the work they charged you for.Did you get a VAT reciept, the terms and conditions are on the back in the small print........
    Ben
    No I didn't get a receipt. Found out today that I can get a replacement main cylinder and barrel assembly. Would 2 times the amount of work (£30) be on top or iclusive i.e. £60 or £90?

Just a word on behalf of platers, they aint all like this, I have used one for several AA springers, and they have always been devoid of plating inside cylinders and barrels etc, threads have needed cleaning such as on scope mounts but thats all

Sorry you had so much trouble with this one, I think the cylinder might be saved but would always notice cosmentically, unless you went for a good old matt black paint finish

Baz

wornspring Guest
    Bring it to Redfearns this weekend louis I will have a look at the cylinder and see what can be done Any joy finding a S/H Action or a replacement yet?

LouisCorney Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baz
    Just a word on behalf of platers, they aint all like this

No, I think I got a dodgy one. Thanks for the advice guys.

p.s. pete if I've got it by sat I'l be bringing my replacement