Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I use a hide?

Harry Spillett Guest

Question Should I use a hide?

Hello people,

This is my first post on the group, however I have been reading all of your messages for some time now, it has been very informative!

Can you help with the tactics I should use on my shoot? The field I use is very long but only about 60 yards wide, apart from a few electric fences to divide the field up there is no natural cover at all, just grass. All of the bunnies live in one of the long sides of the field where there is a small ridge some trees and then the next field. The problem I have is that wherever I go I am in plain sight. All the bunnies I have taken to date have been the product of sitting for ages in full view while they hop closer and closer until they are finally within my own range to take a shot. The others obviously scatter. As there is no cover would a hide be worth it or would it be just as easy to erect a fence panel and shoot through holes. It all seems a bit clinical. I would prefer to improve my stalking skills without wearing a "grass and electric fence" costume!

Thanks,

Harry

Try shooting at night this week on a clear night. The full moon might allow you to use the scope without a lamp if your optics are good enough. You will be able to practice your stalking techniques better with the slight advantage insofar as they will have marginally less chance of seeing you.

Try to keep your back to some buildings / trees or whatever and stay out of the moonlight and downwind wherever possible. If it gets too cold though you're wasting your time.

You could attach a torch to your gun using heavy rubber bands and try lamping them but it takes a lot of messing around .

Or you could just do it the easy way and buy a lamp.. or a hide... or a bigger gun

Brown Trout fishing with accomodation:http://www.laighwood.co.uk/

Exactly what Hungryrob said,
    From the sounds of it, I wouldn't bother with a hide either - so long as your personal camouflage is good enough (remember face & hands). The rabbits are going to see you walking to the hide anyway from what you say.
    Find a spot in daylight where you can get (hidden) under one of the hedges. Arrive before they emerge, and play the waiting game just like we all do. Don't shoot the first one out, rather wait until there are a good number - then shoot the ones nearest the warren, hopefully the rest will have no option other than to run for open field where you can pop them off later.

ATB

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

A hide may well help. Try it. Suggest making one from material lying around if possible then leave it for a while before using it. Most important try to take wind direction into account regarding your scent and even more improtant you need to keep still. (Not easy in the present cold conitions).
    Stan.
    Last edited by AirgunStan; 25-01-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    Stan

Harry Spillett Guest
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, i will have to give them a try, I hope it warms up a bit soon, one of these days I wont be able to stand up after a days shooting!

Harry

Kev. (Cambs.) Guest
    Should I use a hide?

Depends on how ugly you are....

Lancs Lad Guest
    Shape, Shaddow, Sillouette and Shine. Makes me laugh when you see the guys in the commics, all nicely real treed up, with a human shape. Break up your outline, cover up those white bits, dont walk over a skyline....

4 basiscs mate.

If you aint got no cover then blend yourself into what you have got.....make youself a ghillie suit and crawl your way forward to your position. Snipe those bunnies, if it takes you an hour to get there but you get a kill then you will appreciate it more.

Give me open grassland and a warren full of bunnies.

I would shoot them as they emerge. If two come out at the same time which often happens, let them get out a bit and shoot the one nearest the hole. Hopefully the second one may stop briefly on the way back or at the burrow entrance providing a second shot if you are using a multishot rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Lad
    Shape, Shaddow, Sillouette and Shine.
    4 basiscs mate.
    I always tought 5, the fith being movement. And is nearly always the one that gives you away.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunner2388
    I always tought 5, the fith being movement. And is nearly always the one that gives you away.
    Quite correct Uncle Albert

Six S's

and the 5th being sound.

Who can tell me what the sixth is in the miltary sense ?

Odour

7th... mobile phone........DOH!!!.. thought i turned it to silent

Gary C Guest
    Actually a cracking answer.

In military terms the 6th is Spacing. Nature abhors regularity and a big mistake is a nice line of regularly spaced bushes !

Odour isn't so much a factor militarily , although a ciggy or aftershave will travel a long way at night but in stalking it's obvious but also in sniping it seems a factor.
    Our smell seems to permeate into the warren even from upwind. It just takes longer. I try to avoid a position by an entrance for this reason

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Actually a cracking answer.

In military terms the 6th is Spacing. Nature abhors regularity and a big mistake is a nice line of regularly spaced bushes !

Odour isn't so much a factor militarily , although a ciggy or aftershave will travel a long way at night but in stalking it's obvious but also in sniping it seems a factor.
    Our smell seems to permeate into the warren even from upwind. It just takes longer. I try to avoid a position by an entrance for this reason
    Was trying to remember what the last one was Gary, was working with a young lad offshore last week (only 18 ) who was a squaddie for a year and he couldn't remember it either
    HW100 T .177 - MTC Mamba 3-12x44 IR
    BSA S10K .22 - Bushnell Legend 5-15x40

Lancs Lad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie
    Was trying to remember what the last one was Gary, was working with a young lad offshore last week (only 18 ) who was a squaddie for a year and he couldn't remember it either
    ]

Was it 5....ah well, Ive been out for 10 years.......

Get cammed up and snipe the buggers.