Thread: Militia .177 Rifle

Militia .177 Rifle

Hi.
    I am after advice again.
    Been clearing a deceased pal's house since January and finally coming to an end.
    Found a virtual armoury of various guns which have gone to a local firearms dealer, mostly for destruction.
    Latest find is what I "think" could be a Militia Air Rifle .177 calibre, aroud 1910 date.
    But knowing absolutely nothing about such items (google helps me) I cannot be sure.
    There is no makers mark I can see on the rifle exept the number 824 on the barrel and cylinder and the word PRECISION on the hexagonal section at the rear of the barrel.
    It is a heavy robust bit of kit.
    A while ago I sold a Webley Premier here but it was returned due to not being of the expected standard (due to my ignorance of guns), I don't want that to happen again.

So any help in finding out the facts on this "Militia" would be appreciated. I did not leave it with the dealer because I think it is worth more that 10-15 pounds. Any kind of valuation would be appreciated.

See some photos that will be of help can be seen here:
    http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...GW0LDZ/Airgun/

Bernard

Hi,
    Most of it would seem to be a "Precision" air rifle from the 1920s/30s. The "Precision" air rifle was made by Oscar Will who was later taken over by Wilhelm Foss, Venuswaffenwerk, Zelia-Mehlis, Thuringen, Germany. The reason I say most of it seems to be a "Precision" air rifle is that the one pictured in Hiller's Collectors Guide to Air Rifles, 4th edition has a different trigger guard and stock. If these have been replaced with parts from another gun and given the general condition I suspect it has little value but I have no knowledge of the survival rate of these and a poor example may attract a lot of interest if they are rare. Somebody will no doubt be along shortly with far more knowledge of this rifle.
    atb
    dogsbody

edbear2 Guest
    The stock is Lee Enfield, complete with trap in butt plate for the oil bottle etc.

Eddie's right of course, that stock is pure Lee Enfield. Looks good too. I don't think this type of rifle is very rare or particuarly collectable in this sort of non-original, well-used state. But they were nicely made and can be great fun to shoot. I would have thought it should make £30 or £40 and be worth the money.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Love the Lee stock idea .
    This guy sadly departed , obviously loved his guns ...
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "