Thread: Opinion on Red Dots?

Question Opinion on Red Dots?

Hi

I'm after a red dot for my twinmaster trainer and possibly my Anics Skif. Had a look on optics warehouse site and saw this, anyone used one?

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...?prod=niknrd40

Pretty cheap, but they all seem around that price. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy

As you say, there are many red dots sights around and this one is probably as good as any.

Do check availability with Opticwarehouse, I've read a few negative feed-backs about them.

I would recommend our sponsors JSR, theirs are as good as any. Like all things in life 'you gets wot you pays for'. If you can increase your budget there are some good quality one's for just over £100.

One thing to note, not all Red Dots are the same size dot, the one you referred to is 5moa. This is fine unless you want more precision for Bulls-eye shooting where a 3moa would be more suitable.

Good luck, Phil

Thanks for the reply. £50 is really my limit to be honest so I guess I'm stuck at the lower(ish) range which I'm sure will be fine. Planning to use it for IPAS and also the UBC comps.

If you want one for IPAS, dont go for the style you looked at but something more like a C more
    Have a look on the bay at a couple in this style

You should find it much easier to find the dot under speed

I did wonder about them but the tube type seemed very popular at the club meet I went to. I need to find a local-ish shop that stocks both and see what I prefer I guess.

red dot

andy i bought a NcSTAR red/green dot sight from jsr(about £29)
    i have it on my bsa meteor..cracking sight nice clear red dot..spot on.
    log on to ramsbottom and have a look..good v.f.m with a round holographic lens.
    ..john..(w)

I've been playing with one of these:

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...ent%5Freticles

today on top of my Steyr LP2, excellent and of course shoot with both eyes open.

Rod

Yep, as above. Open style sights are better overall (providing that you have a brightness control). I have a c more and although they are good they are dear. I have one of these cheap open style sights similar to the c more and with multiple reticles but the biggest issue is that unless it's designed for a pistol, you get a massive reticle. Don't forget most of these sights are designed for a rifle, shotgun so don't factor in long eye relief. On a rifle designed open sight, the futher you move away from the dot i.e. at arms length, the bigger the dot gets!

Maybe those red dot scopes for pistols are the better option if you have a low budget.

Try to get a red-dot with dovetail mounts for the Trainer if you can so you won't need the extra weaver rail. All the ones discussed so far have weaver mounts so will cost extra to mount on the Trainer. Of the 'tube' type sights, my favourite is the Bushnell Trophy but I believe it costs around £100 rather than £50. Deben sell this one for under £40 and it'll mount straight on your Trainer.

Thanks for the heads up!. If I'd looked closer I would have seen the dovetail on the front .

I've now got a CP88 (which I will probably get a red dot for) for IPAS but will be using the Rohm now for HFT. My only thought on using the front built in rail, is that it may be too far forward? Hoping to get a pistol scope today and the place also has the 11mm dovetail mount if needed. Be good if not as it'll save me £18!.

Cheers

Andy

It's only a couple of inches further forward than the add-on rail and won't make any difference at all. Here's a rather old piccy of me shooting a Trainer with red dot mounted on the front rail.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 10-07-2015 at 08:38 AM.