Thread: What pcp gun would you reccommend for a 10 yr old novice.

What pcp gun would you reccommend for a 10 yr old novice.

I'm looking for ideas for suitable pcp guns for a 10 yr old boy. We have tried the falcon light hunter which he liked a lot but breech kept on jamming, AGS PCP1 nice but too heavy, my as410 tdr nice but too long in the stock and a bit heavy. Anyone with a similar aged youngster with any recommendations? A few people have suggested bsa ultra but from the specs the weight seems about the same as mine.

All suggestions welcomed.

how about air arms s200,a nice light gun and plenty of bits and pieces about which can be added at a later date,the ultra mmc cocking would be a bit of a problem for a youngster,

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewluke View Post
    how about air arms s200,a nice light gun and plenty of bits and pieces about which can be added at a later date,the ultra mmc cocking would be a bit of a problem for a youngster,

andrew
    What he said
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Its a shame the Ultra mmc is so stiff, as it would make an ideal junior rifle

From what Ive seen, another s200 vote

Si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

I must admit to being a bit of an Air Arms fanboy but I would have thought that the s200 would be a bit on the large size for a 10 yr old. Thanks for the replies and I will definitely take a closer look at the s200 and pay a visit to my local gun shop.

The Brocock Contour is very light and manageable for young shooters. I have one that my daughter uses.

It's easy to cock and load and is about the same size and weight as a 2250 Ratcatcher.

The only negative is the lack of a safety catch but as these shouldn't be relied on anyway it's no big deal I suppose.

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Falcon fn12
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

We have a lad at our club who has just turned 13, and he outshoots a lot of adults with his Brocock Contour. In fact he's in our LSR B team and is leading the averages.

Have a look at the Brocock before deciding on the S200. If you get an S200, get a mark 1 or a mark 2 and then you can modify the back part of the stock to suit the junior's stature and replace it if necessary when they get bigger.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Another vote for the Brocock Contour.

You won't find a lighter PCP and its dimensions are easily handled by a small person.

If it has to be a PCP and its not needed as an HFT rifle (shot count with Contour is around 25 per fill) then its the obvious choice.

As always I'll suggest the S200 as well, my 9 year old daughter shoots mine without problems and my 7 year old son shoots it off a bipod. I also find the gun very comfortable to use and a joy to shoot.

I think the S200 is one of the most versatile guns out there, it can be used for everything from 10m Target to Hunting, converts into a multi shot in minutes with just an allen key, is full power, very accurate and almost silent with the AA silencer.

I do like the look of the Brocock rifles but I have no experience of them.

Hi,
    If you've got the dosh go FX Verminator, quite light, very well balanced, and the stock is easy to adjust for length/hight so as he grows the gun can grow with him, it also means you can also shoot it when he isn't.
    steve.

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    My son has been shooting on and off since he was 6 years old.

He is almost 11 now and has had a number of Air Rifles ( he commandeered most of my air rifles).

His favourite Air rifles are:-

FX Verminator due to tactical appearance and the large shot count for a small sized rifle.

Daystate Huntsman.
    AA S200.
    Brocock Contour.

Hope this helps.

You could try an Air Arms S410 Superlite, the stocks supposed to be about 15% lighter than a normal S410.

Thanks to everyone for all our your suggestions. The fx verminator is lovely but way out of the price range I can afford. I'll take a look at the s200 and another look at the falcon lighthunter as it may have just been a faulty magazine causing it to jam. There do not seem to be many brocock contours available second hand so I'll have to start looking around as I don't really want to shell out for a new one in case he loses interest.