Thread: Simple bell target

Simple bell target

Hi All,

Have been thinking for a while about building a simple bell target, however for the past few months have been so busy with work haven't had chance. Does any one have any examples or any other ideas like below?

Was thinking of using a few hole saws and some old baking trays to create discs that I would then screw onto a board with a bell behind the 3/8 hole.

The other idea I had was to us a normal pellet stop with some plumbers matt except for a 3/8 hole so it would only make a sound however would then need to ensure that the paper target insert was always in the same place.

Hoping that I can make one that anyone else can then copy and have hours of fun!

Many thanks

Ed

Hello,
    A Bell Target take a hell of a beating at 6 yards with anything other than a specific 6ft lb target rifle.

Your 4" disk will need to be made out of something more substantial than a baking tray if you are to get much life from it.

The simplest one I have seen is a square steel plate about 6" square with the graduated rings maked on it and the 3/8" hole drilled in the middle. This was mounted with standoffs to a steel backing plate that had an old alarm system bell mounted side on behind the hole. When the pellet passed through the hole it rang the bell.

You could use a number of different bells, but stay clear of the cheap bicycle ones. A friend tried on of these and it lasted an evening before the bell was battered beyond recognition.

Hope this Helps,

Andy.

bell target

I've made a bell target from a scrap old motorbike clutch centre ( very hefty 6" steel drum) with has a 3/4" hole in the middle; bolted to the back of this is an old industrial alarm bell. It looks rough but it works and will survive endless hits ( and misses ) from 11ft lb air rifles. As said above, think heavy duty design.

torrens

Have a look here. There are plans in the download section for making a Bell Target.

I'd suggest 5mm thick front plate as a minimum, if used with 12fpe guns.

If it's just for plinking then perhaps rig a plate infront of a standard knokdown. It won't ring but you will need to get most of the pellet through the hole to drop it.

Thanks guys might just buy a flat target trap and drill some location points on to the target so that the card inserts always fits in the same place so when I hit the bulleye it will ring the bell at the back.

Many thanks

Ed

Get in touch with Red Bob on here as he has made a few and I was lucky enough to get one made by him, he may be able to offer some advice.

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452