Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 'perfect' pre WW2 classic air rifle?

BUT.....what about the "daintier" feel of the original Lincoln Jeffries Patent model? Now they "feel" nice.

Can drool screw up a keyboard?

For me it comes down to a choice of either the:

Webley Mk2 Service Rifle
    http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/a...leyMk2SR01.jpg

or the:

BSA Improved Model "D"
    http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/IMG_1134.jpg

both great rifles!
    Matt
    My Club: http://www.wendoverarc.co.uk
    Rifles: Air Arms S400 - Air Arms TX200HC - Webley MkII Service Rifle - BSA Imp Model D
    Pistols: Webley Seniors - Webley Juniors - Beretta 92FS - Cobra Crossbow

mine would be the one i do own
    my webly mark 1 rifle in siggy
    in my opinion its the best pre ww2 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    thats a real beauty too you,ve got there , how did you manage to find one in that condition ?
    This much loved Improved Model D came to New Zealand in 1955 with an English farmer who inherited it from his grandfather. He bought it new from BSA. It had started to develop surface rust when I purchased it but it did not take much to clean up. BSA air rifles came to NZ in large numbers from the very start of their production, evidenced by the Gold Medal award given to them at the 1906-1907 International Exhibition in Christchurch.

More here, including the ChCh exhibition catalogue, and other BSA warriors!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28944406@N07/sets/
    Last edited by trevorj; 03-05-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added information

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The Haenel model 5 is a nice shooter, though yes, the BSAs probably take the crown.

Best Pre WW1 Air Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    The Haenel model 5 is a nice shooter, though yes, the BSAs probably take the crown.
    Hi,

I definately agree with what seems to be the choice of the majority ie BSA Improved Mod D. For me this would be a Standard Pattern with straight hand stock and factory fitted No 12 peep sight.

Regards

Brian

Cool

Well, it seems to be the BSA Improved model D that most have gone for....

Really interesting replies, and some stunning pics of your prize possessions... Je suis very jealous!

Tim

The exact question is which is the best pre-WW2 gun?

Now many of you know just how high I rate pre-WW1 Beeza's and whilst I rate the Imp D sporting .22 air rifle, I dont think I would choose it.The pre-WW1 gun I have in mind is much much rarer.

For me the two guns I would choose would be,

Pre WW1 = The Britannia Anglo Sure Shot as I love the short full powered design,with two power levels, one for indoor shooting and one for outdoor shooting. The rearsight is a work of art and if only the gun had got the same amout of advertising and promotion as the BSA, it may have been more of a contender, and stopped some of BSA air rifle dominance. Superb build quality and a desireability that comes from being a rare beast.Most were made in .177 or .25 calibre, so a mage rare.22 model is the ultimate!!

Pre-WW2

The BSA Club Standard No.1 Air Rifle. Full sized 45.5" design in the superflat .177cal. A superbly accurate hard hitting gun which is one of the great secrets of the BSA underlever world. Full power high velocity gun, with improved adjustable trigger compared to the simpler design on the Imp D. Not too many made, so sought after now by 'those in the know' One of the best BSA's ever IMHO.

Interesting thread

Lakey

Hi Lakey,

I to like the C S Models I have 3 ...2x 45.1/2" models and a No4 C S 43.1/4" I would have to agree the 45.1/2" are very nice to shoot and very accurate..However I still think the Improved Mod D has it....

Regard's

Inproved...Steve....

For Jo and me, it has to be a BSA underlever of some description. Either the pre WW1 model fitted with a period BSA aperture sight or perhaps a post 1920 No2, again fitted with aperture sight. I've used the latter for vintage comps and found the flat trajectory and poke of the longer cylindered .22 superior over the shorter .177s.

Loved that pic of the cased model by the way!

Kind regards,
    John

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Very, very pre WWII for my choice. I'd love to have a working Girandoni.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Pre WWII Classic with Ability

I have to write in since nobody mentioned the Bonehill Britannia Anglo Sure-Shot. Oozing quality, all forged parts, and great handling due to the nifty compact design. They are incredibly accurate and make good power (although I've never Chrono'd either of mine). Anyone else identify with this sentiment?

MarcDV

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcDV View Post
    (although I've never Chrono'd either of mine).MarcDV
    '...either of mine...' talk about name dropping!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDV View Post
    I have to write in since nobody mentioned the Bonehill Britannia Anglo Sure-Shot. Oozing quality, all forged parts, and great handling due to the nifty compact design. They are incredibly accurate and make good power (although I've never Chrono'd either of mine). Anyone else identify with this sentiment?

MarcDV
    Hi Mark,,

I think I mentioned it in post #23

The Bonehill Britannia Anglo sureshot was my choice - especially in the maga rare .22 calibre - love em love em

I used to have a Bonehill Britannia. Paid £4 for it in the very early 70's and sold it for £115 in about 1978.

I think I'll kill myself!