Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 'perfect' pre WW2 classic air rifle?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

I definately agree with what seems to be the choice of the majority ie BSA Improved Mod D. For me this would be a Standard Pattern with straight hand stock and factory fitted No 12 peep sight.

Regards

Brian
    Some great responses all round, really interesting with some nuggets of member's knowledge that are real gems.... Especially enjoying brian's choice of rifle, but stock and sight combination as well! I probably need to get out more..... Ah, it's pissing it down, there's my excuse....

Cool

Hi,

I definately agree with what seems to be the choice of the majority ie BSA Improved Mod D. For me this would be a Standard Pattern with straight hand stock and factory fitted No 12 peep sight.

Regards

Brian
    Stupid phone froze... And posted same thing twice..
    Last edited by TRS1; 07-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Best Pre WW1 Air Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    Stupid phone froze... And posted same thing twice..
    Hi TRS1,

Here is a photo link to my ideal Pre WW1 Air Rifle. I picked this one up (my 5th Mod D) at the Bisley Arms Fair last March. I also have a nice Webley MK 2 Service in 0.25 cal which handles and shoots extremely well but definately lacks the BSA's elegance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abasmaj...57626413122005

Regards

Brian

Hi TRS1,

Here is a photo link to my ideal Pre WW1 Air Rifle. I picked this one up (my 5th Mod D) at the Bisley Arms Fair last March. I also have a nice Webley MK 2 Service in 0.25 cal which handles and shoots extremely well but definately lacks the BSA's elegance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abasmaj...57626413122005

Regards

Brian
    Thanks Brian,

She looks stunning..... and I am now deeply jealous!

It's great seeing pics of the actual guns that are being talked about....

Cheers,

Tim

edbear2 Guest
    Thanks Brian,
    She looks stunning..... and I am now deeply jealous!
    It's great seeing pics of the actual guns that are being talked about....
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Here you go Tim........

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Here you go Tim........

Jeez Louise.. Absolutely stunning.... brilliant pics outside as well.

Don't tell me they are ALL yours? Deeply, deeply jealous.

That's done it now, will have to start saving some dough for a classic... The dogs will have to find themselves jobs to start paying me keep, and the girlfriend will have to be sold......

Tim

Jeez Louise.. Absolutely stunning.... brilliant pics outside as well.

Don't tell me they are ALL yours? Deeply, deeply jealous.

That's done it now, will have to start saving some dough for a classic... The dogs will have to find themselves jobs to start paying me keep, and the girlfriend will have to be sold......

Tim
    PS... what is the story behind the scoped one?

edbear2 Guest
    PS... what is the story behind the scoped one?
    Hi Tim, I have moved some of these on or swapped them since taking these photos, I maybe have about 10-12 guns at the moment, as you will find out if you do get one, they are very addictive!.....the scoped one is one of three that I have, each with a different mounting system that I have made / modified. These old guns are limited to some extent by being open sights only, (although the actual guns are very accurate if in good order, and will easily hold their own accuracy wise with much more modern guns with open sights).......So on occasions where I get one cheap that is not in the greatest condition, or has the sights totally missing, but it shoots well, then I have had a play around with them. I would not advise doing it on a good condition gun as you will reduce the value drastically in most cases!

I use older scopes as they are more in keeping with the look and period of the guns, and actually I am sure that people were doing this years to the odd gun...I have seen more than one that looked like the work was done a long time ago, and scopes are nothing new .....they used them way back as long ago as the American Civil War and before (although some were just 'sighting tubes'...ie. no glass).....so I am sure that people have done this in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Tim, I have moved some of these on or swapped them since taking these photos, I maybe have about 10-12 guns at the moment, as you will find out if you do get one, they are very addictive!.....the scoped one is one of three that I have, each with a different mounting system that I have made / modified. These old guns are limited to some extent by being open sights only, (although the actual guns are very accurate if in good order, and will easily hold their own accuracy wise with much more modern guns with open sights).......So on occasions where I get one cheap that is not in the greatest condition, or has the sights totally missing, but it shoots well, then I have had a play around with them. I would not advise doing it on a good condition gun as you will reduce the value drastically in most cases!

I use older scopes as they are more in keeping with the look and period of the guns, and actually I am sure that people were doing this years to the odd gun...I have seen more than one that looked like the work was done a long time ago, and scopes are nothing new .....they used them way back as long ago as the American Civil War and before (although some were just 'sighting tubes'...ie. no glass).....so I am sure that people have done this in the past.
    Thanks again for the pics and the info, again, really interesting. Obviously scoping up these old rifles isn't something done lightly.

It looks that the ones you have done have been done very sympathetically, and look fantastic - impressive skills!