Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
Hi Yana,

Your facts are probably absolutely correct ( I have not checked the scores you refer to - but have no reason to question them), and so are your observations.

I like to shoot FWB 65 and 80 pistols now and again and have no doubt that in the correct hands these old "springers" could still beat most club level shooters and even higher level shooters too.

I also like to shoot various CO2 match pistols and know for sure that in the right hands they too can beat most regular PCP shooters at almost every level.

However, shooting my newer PCP pistols is a lot easier and less hassle. No mechanical cocking needed, and I can clearly see how much air is left at any time in the cylinder, and although generally bigger in size they are also usually ligher in weight.

As the manufacturers experience has increased over the years, we gain other benefits such as better fitting grips (for me at least) simple cocking and more choice of almost everthing

The top level shooters can also rely on some manufacturers support if they need some "on the spot" help when competing away from home - and this can only be gauranteed with a pistol that is in current production.

Every type of match pistol has its place as far as I am concerned - all give pleasure to the users at various levels from back-yard to international competition and all should be encouraged at club level.

What we need is more target shooters to keep our minority and shrinking sport alive for future generations, so "is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting?" - yes of course there is - and springers too. Are they still at the peak of excellence - I think not - but who cares - the question was "is there room" for them - and the answer has to be YES.
Well said, this is the best answer to the original question so far.

Colin.