Thread: Is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    yes there is a place for Co2 and its place is expelled from your lungs when you exhale.
    Can you tell me how much experience you have of pistol shooting.

I have shot for over 30 years with various pistols, from air to full bore and the rubbish posted on here makes me wonder what your averages are and what division do you shoot in.

I still use Co2 and a 604 is hard work, plus to cock one safely you do need to move your feet, which does not help.

If you want to shoot PCP good for you but why knock anyone else's choice.

the rubbish on here really does make me wonder.

if you want to see what the best shooters on earth are using just type in 10 meter pistol into youtube and watch any international / olympic / commonwealth final. Nobody uses co2 anymore.

yes I know your dodgy old czech pistol probably shoots better than me but that kind of fusty old thinking is what is holding back young shooters in this country. take a fresh new look at your sport and you might realise that old men shooting in the county leagues are currently knocking out the sort of scores that infants in germany are shooting in the junior bundesligia.

After all a 1980 Austin Allegro will stick get you to Tesco for the weekly shop, how many can you count in the car park?

Move on.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    After all a 1980 Austin Allegro will still get you to Tesco for the weekly shop, how many can you count in the car park?

Move on.
    I must admit to finding this refreshingly funny!....after sorting the spelling!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    the rubbish on here really does make me wonder.

if you want to see what the best shooters on earth are using just type in 10 meter pistol into youtube and watch any international / olympic / commonwealth final. Nobody uses co2 anymore.

yes I know your dodgy old czech pistol probably shoots better than me but that kind of fusty old thinking is what is holding back young shooters in this country. take a fresh new look at your sport and you might realise that old men shooting in the county leagues are currently knocking out the sort of scores that infants in germany are shooting in the junior bundesligia.

After all a 1980 Austin Allegro will stick get you to Tesco for the weekly shop, how many can you count in the car park?

Move on.
    What he said

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

I dont think you realise that these are austere times and if the economic situation doesnt improved soon then we will need to go back to basics. CO2 may be too modern at the end of the day and it might be time to start using springers again. Not those extravigant recoiless ones either, a Webley Mk1, Senior or even Tempest will do fine.

Mmmm, now whos taking the p**s?

I don't mind moving on, but let the individual decide what to shoot. Shooting springer's would be a good idea, but in a class of their own.

The cost today puts a lot of people off and I cannot see shooting getting any favours off the Government, look at the Olympics fiasco.

How many world class shooters does Britain have?

And what type of facilities do other countries have compared to us, you can only get out what you put in and the infrastructure in the U.K. just does not encourage people to shoot.

My local club is run by a committee stuck in the dark ages, which is why I shoot a lot more clays than pellets.

By the way Allegros were crap.

Blimey, people got very agitated over this.

Yes, CO2 will shoot very well. A good CO2 gun will outshoot many shooters.
    However. Apart from counting shots, its difficult to estimate when you are running out, and whilst the CO2 caplets are fine, the infrastructure to support bulk cylinders is poor at best. Plus the obvious issues with changes in temperature/pressure.

My club has a dive tank in the corner of the range. So does the Lord Roberts Centre. An old club of mine was next to a dive club and could get at-cost refills.
    It simply bears no comparison compared to bulk CO2.
    If you want to shoot CO2, you're essentially on your own. Some people do shoot CO2, as evidenced by the empty capsules in the range bin. However, for 60 shot matches, they may not go the length in the same manner as a bulk cylinder will. A 12g capsule should get you 80 shots, but mileage will vary from gun to gun.

If a member of my club asked for advice on whether to get a CO2 or PCP target gun, I'd tell them PCP without a second's hesitation. Why? Well, they can fill it up in the club, there are lots of other people with them (i.e. support, advice, trying guns before they buy), they are well supported from grass-roots all the way up to Olympic level.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    I don't mind moving on, but let the individual decide what to shoot. Shooting springer's would be a good idea, but in a class of their own.

The cost today puts a lot of people off and I cannot see shooting getting any favours off the Government, look at the Olympics fiasco.

How many world class shooters does Britain have?

And what type of facilities do other countries have compared to us, you can only get out what you put in and the infrastructure in the U.K. just does not encourage people to shoot.

My local club is run by a committee stuck in the dark ages, which is why I shoot a lot more clays than pellets.

By the way Allegros were crap.
    Without changing topic, the biggest issue facing shooting is not what you use, or what the government think of us, but the average age of our shooters and our committees. Clubs are dying out because quite literally the members are dying off!

To encourage youngsters we need to get them caught up in the same spirit that continental youngsters have. Fresh new pcp rifles and pistols from walther ahg, fwb etc steyr etc are appealing to the young and help them respect the weapon and the skill needed to use them.

To many clubs are just meeting places for grumpy old gits and this obsession with old weapons (that were current when the users were competitive 15 - 20 years ago) are no inducement to kids of the Ipad age.

Hemmers has identified the technical weaknesses but the issue really is one of the state of mind.

As for infastructure, your right we dont have much in the way of first class facilities and this needs changing but for the lords sake; if were still using Co2 pistols what right have we to object to facilities? New Millenium, New Century, New Thinking.