I have to say how entertaining some of the recent hystrionics on this thread have been! Complete with a few prejudices on both sides, but most amusing!

The facts are clear, PCP is no more accurate than Co2 and the world level scores show that, but then neither is significantly more accurate in pistols than a spring! Nina Stolyarova shot 391 air pistol in 1972 for the ladies world record with a FWB 65, todays record 393! OK the target is a tad smaller 0.5mm, big deal! I can't remember the mens record from the FWB 65 days but I think it was 395 ish. Now of course the mens match is 60 shot, but realistically the scores have not moved since then despite the advance in technology, so should we all still use spring guns?

The fact is, a 15 year old Merc or BMW cruises at autobahn speeds as well as a new one, but by choice you'd buy a new one. The same applies to the older but class pistols, a Co2 Steyr shoots as well as a PCP one, until recently we had a club one so I can verify that, we have now converted it to PCP for convenience and so that we could reduce the weight with compact cylinders for juniors, it still shoots just as well, no better, no worse.
The failings of the eastern bloc pistols was not the propellent it was the standard of triggers, grips, ballance, and sights, but then to be fair to them none were sold at high prices or aimed at the top end of the market, and they met their target niche perfectly.

The answer on "is there a place for Co2" is simple, its yes. But if we have the choice and the funds we go for the most recent technology and that is PCP. We buy new tech pistols for the same reason we buy new cars. Could the top shooters shoot the same with Co2? Of course they can, and also could with a spring FWB65, but they buy by choice modern PCP's.
Any one who has the tecnical ability and the degree of dedication to succeed at the top level could if they chose to shoot with one of the later top class Co2 pistols, Steyr, Walther, FWB, could perform at the highest level, the fact is, they don't, not becuase the can't, but because they choose to use PCP's because they are modern technology.
Good shooting,
Robin