Thread: Newbie advice

Newbie advice

Hi,

New to both this forum and also to shooting!!

I am looking at starting with 10m air pistol target shooting. I am about to join my local club where I have had a quick visit and no doubt I will get plenty of advice offered there. However, it never hurts to have a wider pot of thoughts to choose from.

So the question that probably all new starters ask - which pistol should I go for?

I had a go of one of the club guns while I was there and it was an FWB P34 - I loved it but they appear rarer than the proverbial rocking horse ****.

If I was looking at spending £500 - £600 what would you recommend and in fact do I need to sepnd this much on my first pistol?

So many questions ......

Many thanks in advance for any adivce offered.

All the best
    Mark

Hi Mark,

The pistol I would go for as a new starter to pistol shooting is a FAS AP604. It's a single stroke pneumatic, available in .177 and .22

They pop up in the secondhand sales adds on the internet usually for around £100

A friend of mine has one which he used to use for 10m target shooting and really likes it.

We now shoot at 6 yards, and I liked it so much that I now have one.

Now let the discussion commence........

Just my 2p's worth, but I hope it helps.

Andy.

Hi, welcome the the forum and to pistol shooting.

You are at a club, that is a great start, advice from club members can be very useful and less biased that that from some retailers.

A pistol is very personal thing, What fits you in terms of grip size and weight, may not be every ones choice.

With your budget though, I would be looking at a good second hand pistol rather than a brand new one of lesser quality. Your new club and again on here are good places to look. Ask around, you may find one for sale at the club that you can actually try before you buy.

Stick with one of the following makes and you will have plenty of choice and little to worry about quality wise. Steyr, Feinwerkbau, Walther and Morini.

I have written a quick guide for our club forum, for someone who does not know which form of pistol to buy for which type of shooting. You already know it will be 10m match so bear this in mind when reading it. http://lincs-hft-club.co.uk/index.ph...o-air-pistols/

Make sure anything you buy is in good condition, they should be as they are expensive items. The grip size is important, but possibly not a deal breaker as new ones can be bought from the manufacturer or after market makers like Rink.

Just ask away if you can think of any questions.

HTH

Mark

As Andy has pointed out, the FAS is an excellent starter pistol if you don't want to spend on a PCP one to start with. But only at the second hand price point of £100 to £250. The new FAS price is nearer to the quality PCP second hand prices and not such good value.

Mark

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Billyboy has a nice looking FAS609 for sale on here for £400 which would be an excellent starter pistol.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

started with a second hand Baikal IZH. Great gun.Cheap £250. very acurate.Helps build muscles!! HEAVY and Hard to pump...glad i started with it though,looking to move on a bit now.Possible second hand Steyr if one ever comes up.Good look.

If you have the cash then buy 2nd hand Steyr, Morini or another of the top makes. They are always in demand so you'll be able to resell easily if you decide that the sport is not for you. I don't really see the point of starting with anything cheaper (although I started with Rohm - but upgraded to Steyr after 3 months).

U.