Thread: Loss of power on HW97

Loss of power on HW97

Afternoon guys

This morning I chrono'd my HW97 for the first time this morning. I did it 10 times with JSB exact with a range of 724-735 fps. which by my maths takes it to 9.78-10.08 range. I checked my airwolf and HW77 which both gave 11.3 and 11.7 respectively, so I don't think it could be the chrono. The gun has had roughly 3000 pellets through so could it still be settling in or is it likely to be one of the rifles which has had the spring butchered?

Quote Originally Posted by hilton View Post
    Afternoon guys

This morning I chrono'd my HW97 for the first time this morning. I did it 10 times with JSB exact with a range of 724-735 fps. which by my maths takes it to 9.78-10.08 range. I checked my airwolf and HW77 which both gave 11.3 and 11.7 respectively, so I don't think it could be the chrono. The gun has had roughly 3000 pellets through so could it still be settling in or is it likely to be one of the rifles which has had the spring butchered?
    The only way to find out is to open the rifle up and check the spring. It does seem too low. However, is it shooting well? That, after all is the most important thing NOT how it reads on a chrono.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

It is very likely that the spring has been chopped, but that alone is no reason for it to be underpowered. Have you tried different pellets? My factory condition 0.22 97k was about 9.5 ft.lbs with some particularly tight fitting pellets, but around 11 with most others.

springs

it has been butchered mate mine was the same wen i got it i put a v mach in it and it was exellent and a very consistent 11.3 with accupels

Quote Originally Posted by danny20 View Post
    it has been butchered mate mine was the same wen i got it i put a v mach in it and it was exellent and a very consistent 11.3 with accupels
    How would you know that without looking?
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

are your exacts the reds or the blues? mine shoots jsb reds 8.4grains at 10.4 where as if i put falcons in it it shoots at 11.4. the blues are 7.9's which might give you a little more power. springers seem to prefer a lighter pellet as a rule.

if you try air arms fields which are basically the same pellet, you could try different sizes eg. 4.5's, 4.51's, 4.52's and 4.53's.

mine prefers 4.52's but ive been told that most weihrauch barrels prefer 4.51's and 5.51's. as all barrels are different it might be worth trying that as well. it should still be going strong if its only fired 3000 pellets.

i still use the jsb's and shoot the gun at 10.4 because it is smoother to shoot and far more accurate. try a few different pellets first. it might be that the gun preffers a different pellet for power and another pellet for pure accuracy.

you wont notice and difference in tragectory at 10.4 than you would at 11.4, so the best thing to do is go for the pellet that shoots the best groups and is the most consistent.

Smile

my 97k crept up to 13lbs and i had the spring cut. still very accurate but returns only 10.3 with air arms , might have taken a tad too much off , still better safe than sorry

If the spring has been over-chopped then that is easy enough to put right. The fact that a rifle is doing 10 ft lb is not necessarily a problem IF it is shooting smoothly and accurately. My legal limit springer-a V glided HW97K-runs at just over 11 because I like it that way. I can hit the 55 yard targets on my club range with a 10 ft lb gun and they fall over pretty easily so the fact that a rifle is 'only' doing 10 isn't an issue for me. The tendency these days is to think in terms of a new rifle delivering around 10 for the obvious legal reasons mainly because the makers have no idea what pellets the owner will use. As we all know changing pellets can have a dramatic effect on chrono readings.
    As a side issue my 'knockabout' general purpose legal limit rifle-a .20 Fenman-is set to 11 because again it shoots better that way and is much easier to cock. Still performs well over the 55 yard range and you can't really ask for more than that can you?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

When the power of my 97k dropped, i returned ot to the shop (only 5 months old) to discover the spring had snapped! Anyway, a good excuse to v-mach it and its been sweet ever since.
    BSA R10 Mk2 .177 V Discovery Hi 4-16 x 44 SF IR
    AA S510 .177 Konus 4-16x44 SF IR
    Walther RM8 .22 Hawke 4-12 x 50 AO IR

Art

Hi can anyone tell me how much does it cost to have a gun v-mached? also got a Hammerli with a very heavy trigger and no way to adjust it any help would be appreciated.

send it to dave hall. used to be bonnie and clydes. now calls himself shotmaster.

he makes each kit specially for your gun and fits it for around the price of a v mach kit.

if you're interested pm me and i'll give you his number. he's very good with weihrauchs.