Thread: Which pistol

Which pistol

I'm looking to buy a pistol and I'm looking at either the hw40 or the smith and wesson 4/6 inch barrel. Any recommendations out of those two? I've tried a 40 and it was very accurate but was diddly to load and awkward to cock. The trigger was very nice. How do the two compare for power, trigger, accuracy and handling.
    tx200hc mk3 v-mached s400k in tawnado stock tuned qb78dlx hw100kt

When it comes to pistols, theres no point worrying about power.

I've shot a HW40 and it was a nice pistol to shoot, I have a HW45 and I always enjoy shooting that as well.

The S&Ws are very well regarded but I don't like them. This is more for cosmetic reasons than the quality of the pistol but from the criteria you mention, which does not include mutli shot, I would imagine that the HW40 would be the better pistol on all counts.

The HW40 is excellent. Very accurate and great value for money.

The S&W is really at totally different type of pistol. With rapid fire and lots of shots per magazine its strong points. The trigger and accuracy are not as good as the HW40.

If depends on what you will get the most fun out of?
    Both have their advantages depending on what you want to shoot at.

HTH

Mark

The HW 40 is excellent value for money I paid £120 for a new one recently. There is an excellent write up on them here:

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW40Review/review.html

Not forgetting the Crosman 1377 and 2240 both of which are cheaper than the hw40 and just as accurate, fit a lighter trigger spring and you have a sweet accurate shooter plus they are both great fun to improve and modify.

My 2240 doesn't even resemble a 2240 anymore and the 1377 is very good as it has good accuracy due to the longer barrel and long sight radius.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Apples and oranges. The HW 40 is for slow, single shot accuracy. The Smith 586 / 686 is for fast, multishot action shooting. Both are good, for their intended purpose. However, I think the Smith is about as good as they get, for ITS intended purpose: not so for the HW 40. I much prefer the HW 75.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

easy just get both like me.when the mood takes you just have a blast with the s+w or if you want to compete in 10m match pistol use the hw40.yes it is that accurate

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaksGod View Post
    easy just get both like me.when the mood takes you just have a blast with the s+w or if you want to compete in 10m match pistol use the hw40.yes it is that accurate
    Best advice yet!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I own a Umarex Smith & Wesson Mod. 586 .177 with a 6" barrel and I am more than impressed by its performance and build quality, also the 10 shot mag is a bonus. I have used the hw40 and it is great pistol accuracy wise.