Thread: Bell Target Photo's

Bell Target Photo's

Hi

Edbear suggested I should put this on this section as well as the target shooting, hope you find it interesting

Bell Target Photo's
    Hi

I have been involved with the Bridgend & District Air Rifle League for over 40 years,
    ( our Centenary Season 2007/08) and while doing some reaserch with the view to writing a book on the League, I have come across some photo's that may be of interest to some of you.

Wales Victory over the All Blacks

February 2nd 1973 Val Mathews who was one of the leading lights in the Coychurch Ladies Air Rifle Team at the time, organised a friendly air rifle match against the visiting New Zealand All Blacks rugby team. The Angel Hotel in Cardiff was the venue, the visiting team, Ian Kilpatrick (Captain), Stewart Skudder Hurst, G. Haden, Trevor Morris, Norton Lambert and A. Wyllie, sadly the Coychurch Ladies team were not named. The All Blacks did not put up anything like the fearsome opposition they deliver on the rugby field, it was a close result with the Coychurch Ladies winning the match by a couple of points, the top scorer for the All Blacks was Trevor Morris and the top scorer for the Coychurch Ladies was Miss Beatrice Hayball. The all Blacks took defeat in a good sporting spirit, and were perfect hosts for the evening.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...oto/ladies.png

Merthyr Mawr 1908
    http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...ing0809023.png

Bridgend Air Rifle Team 1905
    http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/bridgend.png

hope it is of interest

Jim

Great photographs, thanks for posting them.

Who can name the rifles used by the ladies? (L-R)

Lastly, in the second picture (1908) what is the significance of the lad holding the crossed spoons in the back row?

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

great photos ,thats me in the last one bottom right,arnt i cute!!
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Great photographs, thanks for posting them.

Who can name the rifles used by the ladies? (L-R)

Lastly, in the second picture (1908) what is the significance of the lad holding the crossed spoons in the back row?
    Can't name the rifles......but silver spoons were often given as trophies at shooting events.

Great pics Jim, thanks for posting
    blah blah

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Can't name the rifles......but silver spoons were often given as trophies at shooting events.

Great pics Jim, thanks for posting
    There have been one or two bell target medals, and engraved spoons on the bay in recent weeks, and they fetch good money.....the shield shaped key fob medals were apparently the thing to display back in the day........It was said to be a bit intimidating to walk into a pub to shoot against a team where all the shooters were "medalled up"

This oldie apparently did the rounds back then....

Brilliant pics, Jim, thanks for posting!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I enjoyed that. Thank you.
    Barry (New Zealand)

Spoons and medals

Hi

I shot against most of these ladies, and if I remember correctly the rifles they used were, Original 65s & 75s (quite modern in those days) Haenel 311's and the main stay, Webley Super Targets all .177, the feinwerkbau 300s was just making a name for itself, shooting in 10 aside matches over 21 feet, free standing with no support, ie slings/palm grips etc
    Each competitor shoot against a member of the othe team, very similar to a darts match, 8 shots the first a sighter and 7 to count. The target a five inch disc marked in rings at an inch from the centre and a 3/8 inch hole in the middle, at that time the shooting took place in the dark, and in complete silence, the only light in the room was from the target and a small light for the scorers. In 1911 there were 39 teams in a 15 mile radius of Bridgend Town centre. The League still meets twice a week throughout the winter months, we have six teams with around 80 members, the rifles have changed, we now shoot with the lights on, and you are allowed to talk quietly but very little else has altered.

Two photo's of a medal and a spoon
    http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture109.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...hoto/medal.jpg

Jim

Thanks for the information gents.

Brilliant thread thanks for starting it and for the information added later on
    Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil