Thread: The joy of an Airsporter

The joy of an Airsporter

I bought a .22 Airsporter Mk2 the middle of last year and although it shot smoothly with no twang it was pretty poor on power (5.5 FPE) plus a lot of variation pellet to pellet. So I finally had it apart and lo and behold it had a late mark piston in, with the flat face rather than the correct conical one.

Anyway, I picked up a proper piston off a certain auction site a couple of weeks back and despite the really poor condition, leaky washer, it improved to a tad over 7 FPE. As a result I sent the piston off to Chambers for a nyloil "O" ring replacement to be fitted which has now pushed the old girl up to 7.8 FPE and a remarkable 6.7 ft/s variation (with Superdomes) from the original 30-40. Chambers service was excellent, I posted the piston Tuesday afternoon, they fitted the new washer and it was back with me Thursday morning!

The spring is non-original too, quite weak and with no pre-load so there is plenty of scope to improve further still if required. However it is so easy to cock and fires so sweetly I see no reason to change it as it is the perfect plinker. I was hitting a lot of knock down targets out to 25 yds at the club this morning with the open sites and it was a real joy to shoot. It's now going to be very difficult to decide between the Cadet Major and the 'Sporter for a bit of fun.

A bit of ramble but might be of interest to someone.

Hi Sevvy

I have to agree with you, I have a soft spot for mk1/2 Airsporters and love them with just open sights (though I have a mk2 with a telescopic sight fitted, I almost pull my neck apart trying to get the correct eye relief )

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi,

Mark 1 and 2 Airsporter's are the best.Try Changing your Pellets, modern new ones that shoot Ok, are H&N Field Target in 5.54,Air Arms..and JSB..Or you can try Marksman,that are 5.56 and vary from batch to batch some are very good and nearly as good as Old Proper Eley 5.56 Wasp...

Regard's

Inproved

Pellets

Hi Improved, thanks for the pellet info. I had been led to believe the proper Wasps and Superdomes were the only ones worth trying when I asked on here a while back but I'll give some others a try on your advice.

I've got an encyclopaedic collection of .177 pellets as all my other toys are in that calibre, unfortunately the Airsporter is my only .22. Having said that, I do have a small stash of Webley Mosquitoes (JSB made) that I will try. I also found a 'plastic' tin of Scalemead Hustler Harriers I must have bought as a lad some 40 years back for my Meteor that were hiding amongst some general junk I'd hoarded. I bet they will be good!

Cherrs, Tom.
    Last edited by sevorg; 09-05-2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Shortened another ramble

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Love Airsporters esp the Mk1 & 2 I have, also my Mk4 & 5 not quite so good and my beautiful Airsporter 'S' Carbine with oiled walnut stock, would like a good RB2 and Centenary I could shoot!
    Love em!

Airsporterman

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Love Airsporters esp the Mk1 & 2 I have, also my Mk4 & 5 not quite so good and my beautiful Airsporter 'S' Carbine with oiled walnut stock, would like a good RB2 and Centenary I could shoot!
    Love em!

Airsporterman
    There is a mint .177 Airsporter Centenary coming up very soon on here Airsporterman....... watch this space

RE: WASPS 5.56 - new ones
    I recently bought x2 tins for a recently acquired Tempest. The Tempest hates them - seem too tight gone back to Hobbys and Superdomes. However my Airsporter Mk4 tuning fork stock loves them. I can get very good groups with them 20yds open sights. The quality is not as good as the old Eley Wasps, though the skirts are fine and all appear undamaged. Head finish not like they used to be and dark grey in colour no longer bright silver.

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    RE: WASPS 5.56 - new ones
    I recently bought x2 tins for a recently acquired Tempest. The Tempest hates them - seem too tight gone back to Hobbys and Superdomes. However my Airsporter Mk4 tuning fork stock loves them. I can get very good groups with them 20yds open sights. The quality is not as good as the old Eley Wasps, though the skirts are fine and all appear undamaged. Head finish not like they used to be and dark grey in colour no longer bright silver.
    The new "WASPS" are nothing like the originals. You are betting off getting RWS Superdomes for the earlier British guns.

Cheers
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nice guns but just wish the cocking lever latch could be silenced, as mine is quite noisy for hunting after cocking and locking back in place, so I tend to pick up my Mercury S instead

Any tips would be great, but other than that love the old BSA's something about the smell that does it for me

ATB
    Paul

noisy latch

I hold the latch in the open position when I push the lever back and then release it once in place which keeps it quiet. I do this to reduce wear on the catch rather than for the noise, that is just a side benefit for me.